Chapter 26

I ogled at the sight of the beach.

The sea was a clearer... cleaner shade of blue than yesterday's beach. The water was like liquid mercury- sparkling like a million diamonds, and rippling gently, due to the slight breeze.

The sand was like turbinado sugar, a pale golden colour- nearly white. Shells were dotted around the nearly deserted beach, and the only people who could be seen on the beach, were the occasional runners.

We all went our separate ways to take our clothes of and change into our swimsuits, before meeting back at the umbrellas and beach chairs.

I flipped my hair over my shoulders and felt the intense heat of the sun shining down on my back. I followed everyone down to the shore before picking up a small plastic bucket and spade a small child had probably left.

'Anyone wanna build a sandcastle?' I asked everyone, showing them the bucket and spade.

'I'm down.' Sarah said, walking over. Mier, Will, Lux, Sursh, Simon, Ethan and Josh came over and we started building the castle.

...

I stood back and admired our work. For the past two hours, we had been working on the sandcastle, and we had just finished.

'I reckon we did alright.' I grinned, admiring it with the others and high fiving Ethan.

'Anyone want to take a picture of it for social media, or anything?' Lux asked. I smiled to myself and shook my head. Everyone I wanted to see it was already seeing it with me. I quickly placed a shell on the top of one of the towers.

'Perfect.' I breathed.

'HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE THIS!' Simon hollered to everyone who was walking along the beach. They all ran over and looked at our creation.

'Holy shit.' JJ said, his mouth wide open.

'Hey can we all get a picture together?' I asked suddenly.

'Who will take it?' Viddal asked. I looked along the beach.

'Hey!' I ran up to a middle age woman who was running along the beach. She stopped and smiled. 'Could you please take a picture of me and my friends?' I asked.

'Of course, dear.' She smiled sweetly. I opened my phone and opened camera app. I walked over to everyone.

We took three pictures. The first one with our arms around each other, the second with everyone doing piggy backs (I went with JJ) and one where we did something random and silly. JJ lifted me onto his shoulders, and I did peace signs and went cross eyed.

'Thanks.' I beamed as I went to retrieve my phone for the lady.

'No problem, have a nice day.' She smiled back.

'You too.' I said, leaving her to finish her run.

I looked through the photos and smiled. I looked up from my phone to see Talia on Simon's shoulders.

'Hey guys!' I exclaimed, suddenly having a light bulb idea moment. 'Why don't we do one of them fight things you see on Pinterest and stuff, where you get on someone's shoulders, and then you fight someone who is on another person's shoulders!'

'Let's do it in with couples.' Talia suggested, messing up Simon's quiff with her hands. Josh crouched down to let Freya get on his shoulders. Sursh and Tobi, Sarah and Lux, Mier and Will, Katie and Harry, Randolph and a blonde who I think is called Laura, and Gee and Chip joined them in the water.

'Want to join them?' JJ nudged me and asked.

'Hmmmm.' I pretended to think. 'Yeah, I mean- there's nobody better to go with.'

JJ pulled a shocked expression before crouching down so I could climb onto his shoulders. Once I was on, he raised up and went back to his normal height, before running to the sea where everyone was waiting for us.

'AHHH, JJ SLOW DOWN!' I yelled, grabbing a hold of his dreadlocks.

'THIS IS FOR DRIVING LIKE A MANIAC!' He yelled back, laughing evilly. I held tight onto his dreadlocks, making sure I didn't fall before we had even started.

JJ walked into the sea, and we faced our first opponent. Sarah and Cal. 

I was pretty sure we had an advantage to everyone. JJ boxed and was pretty damn fit, and I boxed, surfed, and did tonnes more!

Cal started walking over to us. I pushed Sarah lightly. She pushed me harder. JJ was chatting shit in Cal's face, and kept on approaching Cal, making him back away. I took the backing away to my advantage, pushing Sarah back so that she fell off Cal's shoulder and into the water behind her.

'NICE ADDIE!' JJ yelled, high fiving me. I looked around to see who was next.

Talia had knocked Freya off, Sursh had knocked Katie off, and Mier had knocked Laura off. Mier had gone to fight Talia, and Tobi- who was carrying Sursh- was approaching. 

Saoirse was quite light, as was Tobi- so after I had given Sursh a reasonably hard push, she toppled off Tobi.

Talia had beaten Mier. 

Talia looked quite skinny and easy to beat. Simon waded through the water, bringing Talia closer. I could hear the others cheering for either Talia or me. I pushed Talia lightly. She leaned back slightly, but Simon held her knees and helped her regain her posture her promptly. She pushed back harder. I leaned back from the force of her push, but JJ leaned forwards so that I came back forwards. Me and Talia kept pushing each other. It was pretty clear we were never going to get a clear winner... Until I gave Talia an almighty push. Simon was gripping her knees in an attempt to keep her on his shoulders, but I saw JJ sneakily kick Simon's legs under the water, causing Simon to fall.

'YESS!' I raised my arms in victory, however I was not victorious for long... Simon rugby tackled JJ down, and since I was on JJ's shoulders... I went down with him. 

I was submerged under the water along with JJ. The water was salty. Not very salty -but in shock- I inhaled the water and the salt was burning my lungs.

I unwrapped my legs from JJ to allow him to get to resurface, and also tried to swim up but I was so far from the surface and had so little oxygen to rely on. I tried to paddle up to the surface, but my arms were becoming numb, and I could no longer feel my fingertips. My eyelids were feeling heavy. heavier than lead. 

'Maybe I should just give up...' I closed my eyes and relaxed. I knew I wouldn't be able to reach the surface any time soon. 

Besides, we are all going to die sometime, why wait for Death when he's at your doorstep?

----

A/N

The end was slightly dramatic and fanfiction-y, so I might go back and change it unless people actually think it's alright.

DISCLAIMER: I do not promote any negative or suicidal thoughts. If you do feel the need to talk to anyone about anything like this, please contact 0330 094 5717. It is the Samaritan line and only operates through calls.

If you don't want to contact them, tell a member of your family or a responsible. I'm also always happy to talk, but please do not resort to me over a responsible adult.