15. I Believe You

First off, I am sooooo sorry that this chapter is so late, I feel absolutely awful! I have been so busy, and have had limited access to my computer. So once more, feel so bad, I will try to make up for it and post some better chapters.

So the song I have chosen to go with this chapter, is 'A Drop in the Ocean', sung by Ron Pope (video attached). I listened to it a lot throughout writing the last few chapters for inspiration!
I chose this song, because I feel it reflects the emotions of the characters, and how they feel about each other, and the risks they take for each other.
+
So, this chapter is dedicated to countrycake for their FanFiction sequel, 'We Were Us (Sequel to Wonderwall, Newt)'

----------------------

I sit in the Glade, pulling at blades of grass as the fresh air tickles my skin. No one has told me whether Alby is alright yet, or if the girl is awake yet, and the worry is eating away at me. I lay down on the soft grass, stare up at the crystal blue sky, and let my mind begin to wonder.

Property of WICKED. Group A, Subject A6, The Deceiver.

That's what Newt claims the tattoo says. And Thomas says I'm a variable in the Trials, whatever that means. There's a link there. There has to be. Nothing ever seems to happen by accident in this place.

The boys mill around the Glade, all doing their separate jobs. Speaking of which, I should actually get to mine.
I stand off of the soft ground, and pat off my pants, shaking the blades of grass I had pulled out.

As I walk towards the Homestead, I notice that I'm getting a few strange looks thrown my way. Do they think I'm behind what's happened? Another girl showing up? Grievers attacking more often?

Does Newt truly believe it is the girl who has caused this, and not me? But what about Thomas? He arrived after me, but before the girl; that doesn't seem very coincidental. Some of the boys must be thinking the same.

I arrive at the Homestead, and begin to walk slowly up the stairs, hoping not to have a repeat of when I fell.

I search the rooms, until I find Jeff and Clint tending to patients. The boys lay in beds, injuries ranging from small cuts to large gashes.
"Good to have you back shank" Clint greets as I walk further into the room.

"Hey, guys. Sorry I haven't really been helping around here lately, everything's just been so hectic" I reply, unrave;ling some gauze before walking over to one of the injured boys. I roll out the gauze until it reaches an appropriate length, and cut it off.

The Glader whose bed I stand next to is about sixteen, maybe seventeen years old, and has shredded skin all up his left arm. The cuts stretch across his skin, blood and pus from the tears festering around the wound as he groans in pain.
"How did this happen?" I ask the boy as I apply some antibacterial ointment to the injury.

"The Maze. I tripped in the Maze and landed on some pretty sharp rocks" he groans. The boy squirms a little as I begin to wrap the rough gauze around the ghastly looking arm.

"Hey, it's okay, I just need to wrap it up. You need to stay still or it won't hold properly" I instruct the boy, with all the calmness I can muster.

"I'm trying, it just burns so bad" he groans.

"Just keep talking to me, what's your name?"

"My name- my name is Ben"

"Okay Ben, you need to keep still for me please." He nods in reply, biting his lip to stop the pained noises slipping through his lips.

I quickly finish wrapping the gauze, and tie a knot to hold it in place so that it doesn't slip off of his arm.
"Okay, you're done. You should try to get some sleep now, Ben" I whisper with a smile, pushing his hair away from his face with my hand.