8. Who Are 'They'?

This chapter is dedicated to secretninjas , for their amazing Maze Runner fanfiction 'Mystery Girl'! I love it so much! It's awesome!
------------------------
P.S. Xander is named after Alexander Graham Bell!
------------------------
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Everything is dark, like all the light had been sucked through a void. Suddenly, a cloud of mist weaves in front of me, obscuring my vision. When the mist clears, I am in a room. Everything is white. This must be a memory, like Thomas said.

I take a deep breath, and look around the room. The room is about the size of an auditorium, there are rows and rows of desks, and they're facing towards a white board. At the front of the room, a round-faced woman, with tight skin, and hair pulled back into a bun. The woman is wearing all white, even her blonde hair has white streaks. The woman is talking, but I can't seem to hear what she is saying. She is pointing to the board, which has seven words written across it in green marker.

WICKED

Chancellor Ava Paige

The Flare

Trials

WICKED. WICKED is good. The woman must be Ava Paige. But what is the Flare? And what does she mean by Trials?

I look around, to see people watching her from the desks. I see the faces of those in the back row, to notice the people, are children. All girls. The girls range from ages eight, to maybe twelve. As I decide to take a step closer, I stop, a particular child catching my eye. In the third row from the back, to my left, a young girl with fiery red locks sits watching Ava Paige.

After choosing to walk, I realize I can't move, I can only observe. I watch the girl, as she leans over to talk to the child sitting next to her. A pale, brunette girl, who looks to be just a bit taller than she. I hear what the red haired girl says, as if she is whispering it right to me.

"What is she talking about?" The girl whispers. Watching her, that's when I realize why I can hear her. It's me. When I was younger. That's why I can hear her. So that must mean I can't hear Ava Paige, because my younger self wasn't paying attention. I internally laugh to myself.

"I have no idea" the brunette replies.

The girl laughs and turns to smile towards her, and I assume they're friends. That's when I see the red haired girl's face. Pale, peach pink lips, almost green eyes, and she looks happy. She must have been friends with that girl. I must have been friends with that girl. I feel myself smile at the thought of having friends before all this madness.

All of a sudden, Chancellor Ava Paige's voice comes into focus, and the girls turn their attention towards the board. She continues to speak into a microphone she is holding.

"You are the chosen children. You are special, and will save us all. Even though it may seem unfair, you must understand that we are doing this for the greater good." She takes a moment to look around the room, before continuing

"You will not know the nature of the Trials, until you are about to enter the first. But before that can happen, you must all be tested. Throughout the testing, you need to forget your old life and focus on this one" She points to the word 'Trials' and turns back to her audience.

"There are going to be many Trials which you will all face. Throughout the testing, you will all also be given a new name. I know that might seem strange, but we hope you will understand soon enough. We also hope supplying a new name, will aid the transition towards a new life" she sighs. As she turns to walk out the door, she freezes, and glances around the room once more, before saying one last thing before she leaves.