21. The Girl's Awake

I dedicate this chapter to apple394 for their story 'Maze Runner Imagines', love all the scenarios, and it's awesome how they include Thomas, Newt, Minho, Alby and Gally.

--------------------
'The Griever Hole', Thomas had called it.
Where the Grievers live? I think to myself, this can only lead to more trouble.

Newt shakes his head, "Gotta bloody see that for myself. Hard to believe."
I couldn't agree more.

"So, this whole shuck place is fallin' to pieces" Alby pointedly looks as Thomas, "And all we know is where the damn Grievers live?"

"What do you mean? What else happened?" Minho creases his eyebrows, his posture shifting to a slant.

Newt answered for him, whilst pointing to the Box, "Bloody supplies didn't come today. Come every week for two years, same time, same day. But not today."

I never really noticed, because I haven't been here as long as he has, but he's right. Things are definitely changing.

"No sun for the plants," Newt continues, "No supplies from the bloody Box-I'd say we're shucked alright."

We all stay quiet, no one sure of what to say.
This situation just seems to be getting worse and worse. What are we going to do now?

Finally, I decide to break this damn silence.

"So, are you sure about this being where the Grievers live?" I ask, a slight quiver shaking my voice. Both Minho and Thomas nod, not even a smile breaking through on their passive faces.
"What are we going to do?"

Everyone looks at anyone else in the room, expecting somebody to come up with a solution.

"Well, since we know how they get into the Maze now, maybe we should stop them from getting in. Build a wall or something to block off that corridor" Minho suggests, Being the first to speak.
I have to admit, the boy's idea does have merit.

Newt frowns and shakes his head, "No way. Shuck things can climb the bloody walls, remember? Nothing we could build would keep them out."
But then there's that.

We are thrown into silence once more, the quiet isolating me in the cold chill of the room.
I study the faces of the Gladers in the room with me. All are concentrating, thinking of was they could help, but none are willing to voice their opinions.

The silence is shattered by people talking loudly and excitedly. The noise is coming from outside. From the other Gladers.

We all glance over to see them talking in groups. I spot Chuck, a wide smile blooming across his face. He sees us all, and quickly runs over, his smile only growing.

Newt steps forward and says what we are all, no doubt, thinking. "What's going on?"his tone going from slightly calm and rational, to serious leader guy.

Chuck points outside and yells, "She's awake! The girl's awake!"

Shock blinds my thoughts, a curtain deflecting any ray of understanding

"What?" I whisper under my breath to no one in particular.

"He said, the Greenie's awake slinthead" Minho says sarcastically, clearly knowing I had understood.

I playfully hit him on the arm, and with a small laugh, reply "I know shuckface. I'm just-" What am I? How do I feel about this girl being awake. She says she triggered the ending. How could we possibly trust her?
"-I'm just surprised is all."

I glance across the room, to see Thomas slumped against a wall, more stunned then I am. He also looks to be afraid of something. But what?

Tom ... these people ... all fading ... forgetting everything ... tell you things! ... all fading