1. How the Shuck Hell

First chapter is dedicated to CountryCake, for their amazing Maze Runner Fan Fiction, 'Wonderwall'. Check it out!
--------------------

Darkness. Everything is shrouded by darkness. I feel dread start to claw at my throat and panic stirs inside of me. I peel open my eyes and look around.

I'm inside a box, except this box seems different. I am laying down, and the floor beneath me is dirt, along with the walls to either side of me. But as I look up, I see that instead of another layer of dirt, there is a layer of clear plastic or glass or something. There is writing etched onto the surface, but I can't read it because it's on the other side, so it's backwards.

I move my hands around, trying to figure out where I am. Something is beside me, something slightly soft. I want to know what it is, but I cannot bring myself to turn towards it.

I take a few shaky breaths, and turn to the side. I see a head. A person is in here with me. I nudge them with my shoulder, trying to wake them. They don't move.

I try again and again but they don't respond, so I kick them. At least I tried to; there was nothing there to kick. I look down, to see that only the top half of the body is here with me, the other seeming to have been severed, and is missing.

Realization stabs me in the gut with a cold knife, and I scream as loud as I think I ever have.

I'm inside of a grave.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

My throat has been torn raw from my never ending screams for help. I feel as if I have been screaming for hours, but it has probably only been minutes. I take one more deep breath, and scream as loud as I can. As the scream passes through my lips, I feel like shards of wood are flying towards my mouth also, scraping the sides of my throat, cutting and slicing. I cough and massage my thoat with the hand I am able to move, the other trapped between the dead body beside me and myself.

A few tears streak down my cheeks, leaving a slightly warm feeling around my eyes. I feel a weakness begin to absorb my thoughts, taking any fight or sanity I had within me and reducing it to nothing

But then it hits me, what am I even thinking about? I remember nothing. I take a sharp intake of breath.
"How can I not remember anything" I whisper to myself. I close my eyes and try to think of something. Anything. Anything about me, about my past.

Lori. My name is Lori.

"At least I know one thing" I mutter to myself and sigh, not the least bit content with this situation.

I roll onto my side and finally decide to let the fatigue consume me, dragging me away to the darkness.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I wake to a rustling noise, but I do not open my eyes. Someone is walking across the ground above me, I can hear it. I slowly open one eye, the one closest to the ground; all I can see is the body of the boy beside me. I hear the noise get closer, and decide to risk it. I need to get out.

I open my other eye as well, and shuffle my body until I am once again laying on my back. I look through the clear casing. No one is there, I can't see anything except tree branches extending across the sky. I find it hard to tell whether it is night or day, due to the fact that the branches are so tightly wound together blocking out any hint of light.

A shadow began to seep its way across my line of sight, interrupting my thought. As it gets closer, I make a quick decision, and pull my free hand up and start smacking on the clear casing. I hear someone yell and tumble through the leaves. I gasp, hoping they're okay as I yell to them for help.

Just as I'm getting tired of yelling, I see a head slowly appear over the edge, a head of dark hair, and then a pair of dark eyes.

"Please help me out!" I shout, smacking on the case.

"How the shuck hell did you get in there?" The boy said, confusion washing over his features.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

A/N

So I hope you guys like the first chapter of my Maze Runner Fan Fiction. I'm actually a bit excited for it, I love the books so much, and the movie was pretty good also.

Let me know what you think!

Suggestions are also welcome!
xoxo

P.S
All characters other than Lori were created by the amazing James Dashner! I could never come up with them even in one million years!