12. That's What Friends Do

This chapter is dedicated to jacesducks, for their awesome 'Quotes'

--------------------

Newt stood in front of me, hair slightly dishevelled, and cheeks flushed red from running. His eyes were boring holes through my head, sending searing aches down into my chest. We stand there, just staring at each other, catching our breath.

I feel the need to just walk away, but I can't bring myself to leaving him here. All I've been told since I got here, is 'don't go into the Maze' and 'no one survives a night in the Maze'. I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened because I left.

"Wha-what are you doing here? Why are you here?" I ask, stuttering my way through the question. He doesn't answer just starts to pace and look around, which is kind of beginning to scare me a little. I walk up to him, and that's when I hear it. He's mumbling something to himself.
I step in his path and speak to him. "What? Newt, what are you saying?" He doesn't answer, avoiding my gaze at every opportunity. Worry begins to burrow deep inside of me, latching its claws onto the sides of my stomach/
Shaking, I carefully lift a hand up, and lay it on his cheek.
"Are you okay?" I whisper.

He immediately snaps to his senses, grabbing my wrist and shoving it away from him.
"What the bloody hell have you done?" He shouts. "The doors are shut, and we're inside the Maze!"

I take a step back, slightly overwhelmed by the sudden noise, echoing throughout the halls of the Maze.
"Yeah, I realize that Newt" I reply, trying to keep a calm demeanour.

"What were you bloody thinking? No one survives the night out here, Lori!" He raises his arms, gesturing all around us.

"I was thinking, that I needed to be out here, because I feel that there is something out here I need to see" I admit, but then an anger washes over me, and I retaliate.
"You know what, Newt? I shouldn't have to be taking all the blame for this. Yes, I came out here. Me. On my own. But guess what! I didn't make you follow me!" I shout, making his eyes widen noticeably.
I take a deep breath, before continuing "And I thought that no one was allowed to follow someone into the Maze? Something about 'trying not to lose more lives'? So, I ask you, why did you follow me out here?"

Newt steps back until he reaches one of the ivy infested walls of the Maze. As he slowly begins to slide downs its surface, I walk over and sit down in front of him.
"I- I don't even know. I was chasing you, and I thought I would stop at the doors. But I didn't. Obviously. I don't know, I just couldn't stop myself from running in after you" he shrugs, as if it's no big deal.

"Well, thanks for joining my on this death trip. Would've been a real snoozer without ya Newtie" I give him a small smile. One side of his mouth crooks up for a second, before deflating.
"So, I'm going to try and find what I came in here looking for. Wanna join me?" I ask as I hold out a hand after standing up.

He grabs hold, and I do my best to hoist him up, but frankly, he did all the work. "What exactly are we looking for?" Newt pats the dirt off of his pants as we begin to walk.

"I, actually, have no idea whatsoever."

"Good to know" he says as he pulls out a large knife from his sheath sort of thing. He then pulls a smaller version out of his pocket, and hands it to me.
I thank him, and he replies "No worries. And if we get out of here alive, you can keep it, shank. A bit of motivation there for ya." I laugh at his comment, and immediately slap my hand over my mouth, remembering where we are.

"Good that. Let's go."

He grabs my wrist, asking me to wait. I turn to him, still smiling.

"Lori, you understand that I'm just trying to protect you right?" He asks, sincerity lining his words. I nod my head, waiting for him to start walking.
"Lori, I don't want to see you get hurt. I- I care about you. Okay?"