23. What About Lori?

This chapter is dedicated to MadNewtSkillz, for their fanfiction, 'The Maze In Her Heart (Newt, The Maze Runner.)'

++++++++++

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE DEATH CURE, BE WARNED!!! THIS CHAPTER HAS SPOILERS!!!

I'm sorry this chapter took forever, but it was actually so hard to write! I didn't know how to approach the topic of Newt's situation, so I had to take the time to go over it.

---------------------

(Newt's POV)

Lori and I sit together in her room. She had taken hold of my hands, and I didn't even hesitate to return the gesture. I sit quietly, trying to think of how I even begin such a conversation. Lori sits patiently, smiling my way, reassuring me that I can trust her. That she is the best thing that has happened to me since the Glade. But that's not what I am planning on talking to her about.

"Do you want me to give you a minute, Newt?" Lori whispers, her glistening eyes peering through her curtain of orange hair.

"No, no, I just- I'm trying to think of how to tell you this without sounding pathetic" I chuckle, very humourlessly. She gives my hands a small squeeze, attempting to comfort me. To my surprise, it kind of works, my heart rate pacing itself slightly.

"When I first arrived in the Glade, none of this was here. It was just Minho, Alby, myself and a few other guys. No girls. None until you" I pause a take a deep breath, as Lori strokes her hand up and down my left arm.

"We made do with what we had, and the supplies which came up in the Box the same day we did. But, I don't know, it just never felt right. Obviously it wasn't right, I mean we woke up with no memories, but something else was always wrong.

I hated it. I hated every second of it. I wanted a way out, but there was always that bloody Maze. I was a Runner when we first started out, keepin' busy in the Maze, trying to find a buggin' way out. Nothing. I just. I couldn't stand the fact that I may have to spend my whole life here. Trapped. By people I don't even know."

I stop talking to look at Lori. She looks so beautiful, even in this retched place. She nods her head, urging, but not forcing me to continue.

I take another deep breath, trying to calm my bloody heart rate down.

"Keep going" she says quietly.

"When I was running in the Maze one day, I finally decided I had had enough." I feel sweat coating my forehead and fear choking me with a tight grip. Just get it over with!
"I- I had tried to kill myself, Lori. That's why my bloody ankle is like this, and that is why I freak out every time I see you head into the Maze."

I see her tense up as her grip on my hand tightens. Please don't hate me, is the only thought running through my head.
"I had climbed one of the Walls as high as the ivy would go, and just, let go. But, on the way down, my foot got caught on a vine, smacked me into the buggin' Wall. Alby found me a little while later, dragged me back to the Glade. I survived, obviously, but I never ran again. I just, I don't want to see you hurt."

I breath out heavily, finally glad I could tell someone who I know cares for me as much as I care for them. At least, I hope she does.

We sit in silence for a few minutes, as I try to allow her to process what I just threw in front of her.
"I-I'm so sorry" she whispers. "I had no idea. If I knew, I- I would've"

But I cut her off, "What would you have done, Lori? Nothing, because you couldn't have possibly known what had happened before you arrived here. Thank you for caring though. It means a lot to me, Lori. You're one of the only people here who I can trust. Not even Tommy knows about this."

She smiles as she looks up at me. God, her smile is so bloody beautiful. I could look at it all day.
"Happy to be of service" she smiles with a small nod.

I lean forward and wrap her in an embrace. I never want to lose this feeling.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

People have been busy preparing for the worst. The worst being the bloody Grievers breaking in and killing us all.
The windows of the Homestead have all been boarded up, as everyone filters into each room. Everyone was accounted for. Everyone except Gally. Where is that damn shank? He thinks he can just leave and no one would notice?

I had been busy letting everyone in on tonight's plan; we are all to sleep in the Homestead, and kill the lights as soon as we hear anything. Frypan is gathering food, Minho is collecting weapons, Alby was setting up in the Homestead, Lori was helping the Medjacks with any injured Gladers, and Tommy, was running after me.

"Newt!" he calls out, running quickly to catch me as I continue to walk away. "You have to listen to me." I stop in my tracks at his words. I have to listen to him? After everything that has happened, I have to listen to him? Was Gally right about him?

I sigh before turning towards him, "Make it quick"

"You've got to let the girl go. Teresa." He looks as if he's scared to hear my answer.

"Ah, glad to know you guys are buddies now" I scoff, spinning on my heel, "Don't waste my time, Tommy." Just as I'm making my way to the Homestead, I feel someone grab my arm, with a tight and shaky grip.

"Listen to me! There's something about her - I think she and I were sent here to help end this whole thing."

"Yeah - end it by lettin' the bloody Grievers waltz in here and kill us? I've hear some sucky plans in my day, Greenie, but that's got 'em all beat."

Tommy verbally groans, a frustrated look poured over his face in seconds. "No, I don't think that's what it means - the walls not closing."

I sigh as I fold my arms across my chest, getting annoyed by his consistency, "Greenie, what're you yappin' about?"

"I think . . . I think we're here as part of some weird experiment, or test, or something like that. But it's supposed to end somehow. We can't live here for ever - whoever sent us here wants it to end. One way or another," he spits out as quickly as possible.

Rubbing my eyes, I reply to his statement, "And that's supposed to convince me that everything's jolly - that I should let the girl go? Because she came and everything is suddenly do-or-die?"

"No you're missing the point. I don't think she has anything to do with us being here. She's just a pawn - they sent her here as our last tool or hint or whatever to help us get out." He takes a moment, before continuing. "And I think they sent me, too. Just because she was a trigger for the Ending doesn't make her bad."

I swipe a glance at the Slammer, before shaking my head, "You know what, I don't buggin' care right now."

I go to walk away once more, only for Tommy to shout something after me, which he will most likely regret.
"Well, what about Lori? I hear from everyone, that once she got here, things started changing as well. What if it was her in there right now?"

I feel my fists clench as I walk over to him. "Lori did her time, none of this was her fault. Your bloody girlfriend can spend one damn night in there. It would probably be safer there anyway. And don't you ever talk about Lori that way, or I swear to God, Tommy, you're not going to like what follows."

I walk away, my breath shaking as I look up to see a glimpse of Lori in the Homestead, looking curiously down at me.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

A/N

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this sucky chapter in all of its crappiness :D

Question: What is your fav fandom, not including TMR?
Mine has to be Pretty Little Liars! Love it with all of my heart.

Normal Question: Who would your bestfriend be in the Glade?
I'd like to think that mine would be Minho, cause he's awesome!

xoxo