2. Ain't That Some Beautiful Poetry

A/N So once more all characters, except Lori, belong to the absolutely amazing James Dashner!

Dedicated to _imagine_fantasy_ for their brilliant Newt Fan Fiction (one of my favorites) 'Let Me Go'

-------------------------------------------------

"How the shuck hell did you get in there?" the boy said, confusion washing over his features.

His voice is muffled behind the cover of the grave, so I take a moment to clear my throat before I respond, making sure to do so loudly.

"I- I don't know. Can you please help me out of this thing! Please!" I shout whilst hitting the cover with the palm of my hand. The boy takes a step closer to look at me, he seemed shocked by what he found. You'd think the guy had never seen a person before.

He begins to circle the grave. After doing this a few times, he stops on the edge and peers back down at me. He stands there for a few moments, before turning and walking away.

"Wait! Don't leave me here alone. Please, don't leave me here!" I scream, fear and terror burning at the back of my eyes and constricting my throat. You will not break down in front of a stranger! Stop! Now!
I inhale deeply and blink my eyes a few times.

"Slim it, I'm going to go and get help. I'll be back" He raises his eyebrows as if to ask if he can go. I swallow my fear and quickly nod my head. The boy also nods as he turns and runs away from the grave.

My hand slides back down beside me, and I close my eyes. I take a moment to try to regain my memories once more. I force my mind to focus. To dig until it hits something. The only thing I can remember is my name. Still. I shout in frustration.

"I need to get out of this place" I whisper to myself. "Once I'm out, I need to find my home."

No crying. No emotion. Trust a few, not everyone.

I rub my eyes with my free hand. I'm losing it. Probably lost it like an hour ago actually. I sigh. Stop being such a baby, Lori. You need to toughen up, or you're not going to get answers.

The boy finally reappears above the grave, putting a wall between myself and my useless thoughts. He kneels down towards the cover and shouts towards me, "we're going to get you out. Put your arms down and close your eyes and mouth."

I shout an okay at the boy, to see him hold up a shovel. I do as he said, and hear the sound of dirt moving, and metal scratching against another surface. As the noise continues, I feel dirt sprinkle down onto my face and exposed skin.

Finally I hear the sound of a few boys grunting, and dirt being shifted more than usual. The sounds around me became easier to understand. The rustle of leaves in the wind, ground being kicked up under foot. The whisper of people close by.

I open my eyes to see the casing has been removed, and there are faces looking down at me. At least six boys, lined around the hole. They all just stare; eyes wide, eyebrows raised, some with mouths slightly parted.

I lay there a moment, expecting at least one of them to say or do something. The boy who found me looks over the edge, before turning and facing each of the boys surrounding the deep hole in the ground. "I told you shanks there was a girl in there with him!" He gave a slight laugh, gesturing towards me. What is with all those strange words? He is a tall Asian boy, with dark hair, dark eyes and a fit figure, muscles rippling along his arms.

"We can see that, Minho" Someone mutters. I search for the voice. A tall, dark skinned boy with a stony expression and arms crossed against his chest. They continue to just stand there, staring at me.

I decide to make the first move. I push up with my free hand, and pull my other from underneath the boy and sit up. "You know, staring is rude. So are you all going to continue to do so, or is someone going to help me out of here?" I know I must seem rude, but I'm kind of getting sick of being in a grave with half a dead body.

The boys seem taken aback by my response, but they finally begin to talk and decide a way to get me out. The Asian boy, Minho, kneels down on the side and lowers himself into the grave, being careful not to step on me or the boy.

He leans towards me and extends his hand, "name's Minho." He stops and looks towards the other boy beside me, "and I see you have already met one of our other friends" he says with a smirk. I roll my eyes, grab onto his hand and allow him to lift me to my feet.
"Are you going to tell me your name?"

"My name is Lori" I say looking him straight in the eyes.

"Alright then, Lori" He locks his fingers together to make a platform. "Let's go"

I step one foot onto his hands and place my hands onto the grave's wall, before looking towards him and thanking him. He gives a small smile before pushing his hands up, allowing me to scale the wall and grab onto the edge of the grave. I feel hands grab my arms and lift me the rest of the way out before placing me carefully onto the ground. After setting me down, they walk back over and reach in to pull Minho out.

As they are helping him, I look around my surroundings. Trees everywhere, dirt and leaves covering the ground, crosses and headstones littering the area. I look up to see no sky. I was right, the trees were to thick to see anything. Next to me, I notice the plastic casing, writing and all. They must have dug it out of the ground. I move to my knees and lean over to read the imprint.

'Let this half-shank be a warning to all:
You can't escape through the Box Hole'

"Well ain't that some beautiful poetry" I mutter to myself.

"We thought so" I turn to see the dark skinned boy next to me, looking to be in a very bad mood.
"Name's Alby. And you are?" I don't say a word, just sit there, jaw set and chin raised. He nods his head and says "so you're the defiant type. You're new here, we get that. We've all been there. Right now, I need you to tell me everything you remember. Okay?"

I can't stand the condescending look cascading across his face, so I answer him. "Fine, I don't want to make things difficult." Not yet at least. I did tell Minho my name though, he'll find out either way. "My name is Lori, and I remember nothing; nothing but my name that is." I can't help but feel bad as I see the disappointment cloak his eyes.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

A/N
Okay guys, chapter two, hope you enjoyed. I also hope you guys don't mind that it is a bit slow right now, but Lori has only been there like a day, and she did only just get out of the hole, so she needs to meet some other people and stuff.

Thanks!
xoxo