10. We Are Your Family Now

So I just want to reremind, all characters, the Glade and Maze belong to James Dashner. All except Lori.

----------

This chapter is dedicated to AnnalovesKalelcullen for their story 'The Love of My Life....Gone. {A Maze Runner/Minho Fanfic}

--------------------

Minho had left without a word, not replying to my request. I look out the barred window, to see the darkness slowly stretching across the sky. I sigh as I step backwards until my back hits the wall, sliding down its surface. Once I land on the ground I pull my legs forward and tuck them behind my arms, resting my chin on my knees.

I sit like this for minutes straight, staring at nothing, not even blinking as thoughts rush through my head all at once. Images from the memory race behind my eyes like a projector, one after the other. WICKED. Ava Paige. All the girls. Me. The girl I was talking to. My friend. I strain my mind, trying to dig for the name of the girl, but nothing surfaces.

Frustration overtakes me, and I start to lightly bump my head against the wall, hoping maybe some memory will fall loose. Nothing. I cry out in frustration, hitting my head once more, harder than before.

Tears begin to fall, my heart aching for a life I can't even remember. Something about that life felt safe, comforting. I feel as if I had a family who cared for me. Friends who I would talk about everything with. Maybe even a boyfriend who I shared this life with. But I can't remember any of it.

The tears rack my body, making me shake and my lips quiver. Once I hear footsteps and the shrill sound of the Slammer door being open, I slap my hands up to my eyes, wiping away the tears.

"It's okay you know. To cry" Someone says from outside the Slammer. "We all break eventually."

I drop my hand back down beside me, and tilt my head up to see Newt standing just inside the door.
"What?" I mutter. I understood what he said, but for some reason, that was my immediate reaction.

"Some people break down the day they get here. Others, like you, put on a brave front, act like nothing can hurt them, and barricade all the emotions" He says as he walks forward and kneels in front of me.

For some reason, I take offense to what he has said. I take it as him saying that I made myself out to be emotionless "Maybe I just don't like sharing all my thoughts and feelings with strangers. But, thanks for trying to cheer me up" I say as my voice drips with sarcasm.

Wow. I must be really tired or something. He didn't deserve that.

Just as I am about to apologize, he stands and spits out "Would you rather Minho here consoling you?"

I feel my face scrunch up at his comment. Minho?
"What are you talking about? Why would I want Minho here? I mean, he's my friend, but why would I want him down here?" I babble, my confusion overtaking any possible talking skills.

"What do I mean? I saw you with him in the Deadheads. You two looked more than bloody friendly" He says with one of those laughs that are clearly not out of humour. As I'm about to argue back, a thought switches on a light within my mind.

"Were you- were you watching me?" I question him, my voicing sinking to a quiet whisper, a small smile making its way onto my face.

At this comment, he begins to blink rapidly, a shade of pink overtaking his complexion.
"What? No! Of course not! I was just- I had to- I was" He continues to stutter.

"Ya know what Newt? If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were jealous of Minho" I laugh a little, so I don't sound completely serious.

After a few moments, he runs his hand though his hair, before he snaps. "Well, you want to know what I think? I think you need to get over your bloody self, shank. I just don't want Minho getting himself distracted from the buggin' Maze. Alright?" He shouts at me as his breathing becomes heavy, and he takes a step back to steady himself. Newt straightens his back, and rakes his hand through his hair once more.