A Promise of Forever

Start from the beginning

"Baby? Come on. Let's go somewhere quiet," he said packing up their lunch. Janine had a lost look on her face and it worried him greatly. Thankfully they both had scheduled study hall after lunch which gave him enough time to figure out what's wrong with his woman. She allowed him to hold her close with his arm around her shoulders as they made their way to the rooftop garden. 
Finding their spot was easy, helping her sit, he took the seat next to her and keep his arms around her for comfort. "J, talk to me." 

Janine heaved a heavy sigh after hearing the obvious concern in her boyfriend's voice. "Being with you is like a dream. I finally feel comfortable in my skin, my confidence is high, I see myself differently whenever you're around. Your words of care and adoration help me through the day, Eli. When we first met, I was this shy spineless girl who allowed people's judgment to form the vision of herself. But you... you looked at me like the most gorgeous woman  you ever met...."

"In my eyes, you are," he interjected.

"Always saying the perfect words," she whispered. Bringing her feet to the bench and wrapping her arms around them, she hid her face from him, not wanting him to see the tears that were forming in her eyes. 

"Those perfect words are the truth. Janine, what's wrong? Are you having second thoughts... about us? I-If you think it's too much we can.... we can... shit... I don't know what we can do."

"NO!" she shrieked, turning to face him. His distress faded away to concern when he saw her tears. "J," he whispered.

"I'm not perfect or beautiful or amazing even special to anyone but you. I'm a fucking mistake in the line of Carlisle women and I'm reminded of that every day. Having my own mind and sense of style is frowned upon and I'm sure who I chose to be with won't be accepted. I'm a failure at everything that pertains to being the perfect daughter," she said aloud, lost in her self-deprecating thoughts. 

"What do you mean?"

"My family doesn't like me and like the ass I am, I still put up with them. Also, I think your mother will quicker accept me as your girlfriend than my parents accepting you as my boyfriend. I don't want to let you go." The last part was whispered but he heard it, he heard it loud and clear. From her outburst, he deducted that his curvy queen had a very..... disillusioned family. How can anyone break down such a sweet, outgoing, loving girl? Pulling her into his lap, he held her as she sobbed into his chest. From the disbelieving stares and looks of disgust, Eli knew they had far to go in the public eye, her parents will be their first test. Maybe they should tackle his mother's acceptance first. 

"I'm not going anywhere," he said softly in her ear and also a promise in his heart.

                                                               **********

Two weeks later

Who said high school relationships were easy? They never had to date someone of another race during a time where racism still reigned and was taught in modern ways to be accepted. Janine and Eli didn't expect cheers of congratulations or worldwide acceptance but pettiness and cruel words could have eased up by now. He wasn't the only one being targeted this time, Janine was sent examples of their displeasure and very vocal disgust were thrown her way in her daily school life. It became so bad that she had to avoid her locker the majority of the time. Eli got into minor scuffles defending her which always sends her into worry mode. She didn't want him to lose his scholarship because of her but he was too dedicated to her to think of such things. In his eyes, she mattered the most. To help diffuse the situation, he moved her things to his locker where they were currently sharing and walked her to every class before rushing to his. Janine saw it as him tiring himself out, knowing he does a few hours at nearby job sites Randy had. As usual, he eased her worries and stayed by her side. Randomly he will ask about her home life in which he will get a generic response of 'fine'.