where are you going?

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*
" So, before you go
Was there something I could've said to make your heart beat better?"
*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*
Word count - 1777

"Dinner, what do we want, pizza... sushi?"
"I'm not hungry Leo"

We've gotten home from the tour, it went really well. I met a few other people from the school who are in my year and are responsible for the new students, which makes me feel a little bit more comfortable. We haven't spoken much since i heard his conversation on the phone. Theres nothing really to say. He needs to tell me whatever has been occupying his mind, or else ill think ill go crazy. He's keeping something big from me. I can feel it.

"What about we skip dinner all together and get some dessert. Icecream sounds really good right now"
"Leo just sit down"
He rushes over to me, sitting next to me on the couch. His eyes are frantic, moving quickly over my face and my lips.

"Whats been making you so panicky?"
My hands hold his warm, rosy cheeks. His bigger hands encase mine.

"I..."
"You can tell me anything, you know that right? Im here for you, like you've been for me"

He moves our hands from his face, and instead holds my hands in his lap. His grip is tight, as if he is trying to reassure himself of something.

"I've kept something from you"
"I know that. It's been fairly obvious for a while now. But its okay, because its you and me, and we can get through this, whatever it may be. As long as you didnt cheat on me?"
"I would never cheat on you"
"I know i'm only joking"

He grips my hands even tighter.

"I don't know where to even start"
His eyes look up at me and i can see the sudden flow of emotions. Insecurity, sadness and guilt. He doesn't look like himself, instead someone who is broken and lacks support. Which couldnt be further from the truth.

"Just say it as quickly as you can, but don't miss out on any details, its better if its just said"
"Okay, so the story starts around two years ago"
"Two years ago?!"
He looks up at my sudden interruption.

"Sorry, continue"

"Around two years ago, it was in the summer-time, i was playing basketball with Mickey, and this man approached us, asking for me specifically."

He continues hesitantly.

"He was dressed really well. Suit and tie. Which is why i thought at first it was so strange to see someone like him in this area. He asked for me specifically. I sat down with him on the bench, and he began to tell me his life story. He was a recovered alcoholic, told me he used to turn to alcohol because his family life was falling apart and he didn't have enough money to support his kid and wife"

I don't understand why he's telling me this.

"He ended up leaving his family, because it got too hard. He thought he was going to return one day, but he just couldn't find it in himself to do it. I felt really bad for the fella, and i was confused as to why he was telling me this, until he mentioned a name"

"I remember what he said exactly, word by word - 'Her name is tilly, and i know she means a lot to you because i see you guys together all the time. She means a lot to me too, but i know if i try to intervene in her life right now as a young teenager, it will mess her up.' "

Tilly... my name... What is he trying to say? My mind feels like its going a hundred miles an hour. My hands begin to sweat, and leos eyes seem so stuck on my face that he must have memorised every freckle and every beauty mark.