best friends

Word Count - 1194
*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

New York City

The place where dreams are made of. Everyone who moves here is escaping their old life, hoping to make it somewhere, anywhere.

But not for me.

My name is Matilda Morretti. My family comes from Venice italy, and we migrated to the United States early 20th century. As for me, i've lived in NYC my entire life, and i haven't left the States for 16 years. My family hit it hard  a few years ago and the best thing we found was a broken-down apartment that's so small we can barely fit the two of us.

My father left my mother and I a year ago when he couldn't handle our lack of financial security, and i don't blame him. My mother works a 15 hour shift, using the money on my education and the bills, and i don't often get to spend time with her.

I live in down town NY, not the nicest place to live in. The amount of alcohol or drugs you can get just by walking down the street is unbelievable. Luckily i'm pretty good when it comes to going under the needle, or drinking my brains out , because of past experience. I would never do that stuff ever again.

You could say i have it pretty hard, but i do have my best friend Leo. Leo lives in the apartment underneath mine, and he has easy access to my window from the ladder that runs between our balcony's. Leo is pretty fantastic, and he's all i really got if i'm honest. He has other friends whose names are Mickey, Pedro and Neutron, but i cant stand them because they are constantly hitting on me because i'm the only girl they really know well enough.

I go to an all girls high school, due to my very religious mother, and i don't have single friend due to the fact that i'm a tom boy. I cant help it that i would rather hang out with boys then girls, when all they talk about is makeup and clothes. I do keep a smile of my face when i'm at school, but as soon as that bell rings i'm running for that bus as fast as i can so i can meet Leo at the basketball courts to walk home.

Leo, is an incredible basketball player, the best player his age. He gets almost every shot in, and i honestly can't believe he hasn't been asked to attend university or college somewhere. It's pretty cool to have a best friend/brother who can literally win every game of basketball he takes place in. I'm very proud of him.

Not only is he a great basketball player, but he's extremely talented in writing poems and short writings. Even though he never lets me read his secret writing book, i looked at it when he was playing basketball with a guy called Reggie, and it brought a tear to my eye. I can see him going great places.

I don't really have much to talk about besides Leo because my life is pretty boring. It's hard to talk about other things when you do the same shit everyday. I have a foul mouth, a bad attitude and a terrible outlook on my future. I want to get out of this city, but i don't know how i will do it. Moving back to italy, where my actually family lives is a choice, or maybe moving to an exotic area like Australia or New Zealand, sounds interesting as well.

As for right now, i'm sitting outside on my balcony, my legs resting over the edge. A cigarette is lit in my mouth, and the smell of smoke is evident in the air. My favourite time of day is right now. 11pm. Even though i can hear weird sounds coming from my other neighbours, and the sound of horns and murmurings in the distance, i find it oddly peaceful. The sky lights up my dull features on my face and the moon melts into the background. My Mother won't be home for 2 more hours, so i have a lot of time to myself. I'm interrupted from a sound coming from below me, a sound of footsteps.

" Tilly"
I turn my attention to a boys voice coming from below me, and i move from my spot so my eyes are looking below my balcony. I'm greeted by Leo, who is slowly walking up the ladder that connects our apartments. He seems as if he's using a lot of concentration to complete such an easy task.
He sits next to me, his feet hanging off my balcony as well. His hair is the same, messy and dark blonde, and a lit cigarette is seen in his mouth as well.

" Are you high?"
" No"
i give him a pissed off look because i can see past his web of lies
" Okay maybe a little"
" I told you not to take anything Leo, you know what happened to me last time i did it"
" Yeah i know, i was with Pedro, and a guy offered us some for only $10. It's a good deal"
" That doesn't mean you should do it "

He's obviously keen on changing the subject.

" Your mum home?"
" Nope, won't be for another two hours"
" So your all by yourself"
" I'm always by myself Leo, that's not unusual"
" Yeah well you never wanna hang out with me and the guys"
" I want to hang out with you, not them. There sort of dicks"
he lets out a little laugh.
" Yeah i know, it's just how they are, but you should come with us tomorrow to the water hole for a swim"
" Yeah maybe.. i haven't jumped off that cliff since i was 15. "
" Then that's planned, you're coming"

i rolled my eyes and brought my attention back to the view ahead of me. His attention was still on my face and his eyes lingered for a moment before shifting his attention to where i was looking, and i lent my head on his shoulder, and he moved his position to make me more comfortable.

We stayed quiet for what felt like 10 minutes.

" I really want to leave this place sometime Leo"

" Trust me, one day you and i will. We will go to some crazy location, away from America like thailand or Mexico, and we will be rich celebrities.

i moved from my spot on his shoulder to give him a surprised look and he continued.

" Both you and i know tilly that this place isn't meant for us, so when we leave school, we can leave together"

i gave him a small smile and a nod.

" Look i better be going, mum will kill me when she finds out i didn't clean the kitchen. Goodnight tilly, i'll see you in the morning "

Before i could answer him, he was already climbing down the ladder. I took that as a sign to get to bed, ready for the day ahead of me.

—————————————

Heyyyyyyyyy

my first chapter lmao!

Hope you guys enjoyed, stay tuned for more ❤️

xoxo - cleo