Chapter 28 - The Surprise Party

Jo's POV -

As I return from shopping I see Anna, Inanna, Shane, Sam, Medow and Swen Inn the lobby huddled in a group. I stride over feeling proud of myself for my purchase. As I sit beside Anna she grabs my hand and squeaks 'Tonight is going to be awesome Jo, we have the room ready and everyone will be coming to celebrate. The whole cast, crew, make up the lot. So you have a plan to get him there?'

'Sure do, I will take him for dinner at 5ish. That little place along the street then we will arrive at 7. Does that work for you guys?' I ask. 'Yes, that's perfect. When you arrive go to the bar and it's the room at the back. We will all jump out and surprise him' Shane explains with a grin across his face. Now we have the plans sorted I excuse myself and go to get ready before anyone asks me what gift I got for him.

5.30pm -

Hero loved his gift, he put it straight on and tried to distract me from our schedule but I put a stop to that with a to be continued clause. We leave the hotel and jump into the Uber I pre ordered, arriving at a small italian restaurant close by. We are seated at the back and order our meals. This is like our first date, we enjoy our food and talk non stop. We always talk like this, we never run dry of topics to discuss, I love hearing about his life in London. I've never been but it sounds amazing. As I ask for the bill Hero glares at me unimpressed 'Not a chance Jo. I am paying'. He says flatly. 'Sush, it's the 21st century, it's your birthday and my treat. Please don't argue with me over this. Plus I have birthdays to, that's when you can pay'. I laugh whilst handing the server my card. He shakes his head but doesn't say anything. We can walk to the bar from here it's not to far. As we leave the restaurant I can't help but look at Hero and smile, this feels so normal. Out to dinner and having a walk afterwards, I wish we could be like this but it just isn't realistic right now. After would be starting the promo tour soon and us dating officially would cause uproar, we didn't want that. It's better this way, I know it is.

As we approach the bar still holding hands from our walk I notice camera flashes and people calling our names. Shit, I look at Hero in panic, I was so lost in this feeling I forgot to let go of his hand. Hero raises a brow at me but doesn't let go as I try to shake from his grasp. 'Jo, don't freak. We're only holding hands. It' s not going to start a riot' he states calmly. His words soothe me and the heat I felt slowly diminishes. He's right, it's no big deal I tell myself. We enter the bar and I follow the instructions, go to the bar, locate the door behind and enter. As we pass the threshold it's dark but I drag Hero behind me and suddenly the lights flood my eyes and everyone shouts 'SURPRISE'. I turn to Hero as a crowd forms around him, his face is a picture. I wish I had snapped that because it makes me laugh, hard. It's a mixture of what the fuck and oh no. He starts laughing and I'm relieved he isn't to mad about this. Everyone hugs and pats him on the back as music and drinks start to flow and fill the room. These guys really pulled it off, the room looks amazing, it's darker now with strobes flashing in neon colours. There is a huge table set with all kinds of food and punch bowls and banners everywhere showing 21. Hero looks relaxed with a cool smile spreading over his face as people grab him and pull him onto the dance floor. I've never seen Hero dance so I stand back amused by this new side to him. He waves his arms around in the air as he sings along to the music. He can sing, another new revelation. He is full of surprises and each one makes me fall harder. As I stand in awe of this man he turns scanning the room for me I think. When his eyes lock onto mine he strides over and grabs my arm.

'Oh no no no, I don't dance Hero. I watch'. I yell over the music. 'Jo, tonight you dance. Just follow my lead, I'll look after you. Always'. His words fill me with confidence, he makes me feel like I can do anything and with my hand in his I would surely try anything and everything without a second thought. This thought amuses me but scares me too. The things I would be willing to do for this man are endless. We dance and dance until my feet are sore, I forgot we were in a room full of people as Hero guides my hips with his hands. My arms thrown over his shoulders pulling at the hair on the nape of his neck. I only realised we weren't alone when I felt a tap in my shoulder and turned to face a crowd of people swaying to the music and clapping their hands. Are they clapping for us? I'm confused and the drink isn't helping me process the sight before me. I just enjoy it and go with it.

As the night comes to an end and people start to leave I sit down with Anna and Shane. We talk about the success of the evening and how much fun we all had. 'Jo, we all know. You know that right?' her words slap me right across the face, not literally but it sure as hell feels that way. I don't know what to say or do, I'm panicking and looking for Hero to jump in and save me from this awkward exchange but he is saying goodbyes at the door. Shit! As I feel my face redden I opt for playing stupid. 'I don't know what you think but it's not what you think' I say hoping to sound convincing.
Anna leans in to me 'It's fine Jo, I trust you both enough not to fuck up the movie or the tour. I actually think it's perfect, you two are the sweetest and look incredible together. Your eyes both light up in each others presence and everyone around you feels it. We all want this for you both. Just embrace it, stop fighting it sweetie. Plus ow rote the books, I know a thing or two about romance and all that jazz'. Her words are like a warm hug, they wrap around me and all I can do is throw my arms around her and hug her tightly. What she said was beautiful and meaningful. I don't respond but she can feel my gratitude.

As I release her I notice Hero walking towards us, I stand and rush to him throwing my arms around his waist surprising him by my public affection towards him. Rather than remove me he embraces me tightly and places a kiss upon my forehead. 'I love you Jo, this is by far the best birthday and it' s all because of you babe'. God I love him, his words in my ear makes the hair on my body stand up. We join the others and walk back to the hotel together, we decide on a nightcap to end the night and then make our way to bed. Tonight was the best! Tonight was the beginning of something special I could feel it, something real.