"What?" We asked in unison.

"Valeria, you're six weeks pregnant," the doctor informed me.

I sat there, perplexed.

"Wait. I thought chemo makes a woman sterile," Cameron said.

"In most cases, women become sterile, but there are those rare cases a woman conceives. Plus, with the therapy treatment we provided Valeria, it makes it possible," the doctor explained.

"I'm pregnant?" I questioned.

"Yes," the doctor answered.

I couldn't believe it. With the treatment, the other doctor told me pregnancy was impossible. It felt surreal.

"With your situation, I considered you high risk, which means we monitor you closely," the doctor advised.

"What about work?" I asked.

The doctor looked at me with compassion. "Stress is discouraged with a high risk of pregnancy. I advise against working," the doctor answered.

I looked at Cameron, and he looked at me. I give up working with my dad or risk the chance of losing a baby.

"Thank you, doctor," Cameron said, standing up. We left the office and walked to the car. I finally resumed normalcy, and another decision needed making. Cameron and I didn't speak on our way to my parents' home. I didn't know what to think.

We arrived home and went into the house as our family looked at us. I looked at my dad as he furrowed his brows. I walked away and went upstairs as Mom followed. I didn't have the heart to tell anyone, including Dad.

*******
Vincent

I stood there, baffled with Valeria's behavior. I walked over to Cameron.

"What did the doctor say?" I asked with concern.

"Valeria doesn't have traces of cancer," Cameron answered.

I felt relief wash over me.

"Then what's wrong?" Cruz asked.

"Valeria's pregnant," Cameron answered, surprising us as Cameron left the room.

Cruz and I looked at each other as everyone stood there, stunned. Before Cruz said anything, I went upstairs. I heard crying coming from Valeria's bedroom.

"I don't know what to do," Valeria sniffled.

"You have to make a choice," Lacey advised.

Valeria cried as I stood in the doorway. "Or I can make the choice for you," I said, making Lacey and Valeria look at me. I walked over to Valeria and crouched in front of her. "You're fired."

"What?" Valeria asked, crying hysterically.

"I'm firing you until after the baby is born," I answered.

Lacey and Valeria looked at me. Lacey didn't seem surprised but Valeria did.

"You deserve a chance at motherhood after everything you went through," I reasoned.

"You're not angry?" Valeria asked, sniffling.

"Furious, but I'll get over it," I teased.

Valeria wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me. I didn't hesitate to hug her back.

"I love you, Dad," Valeria told me.

"I love you more," I replied. I released Valeria and looked at her. Sometimes you need to decide for your child to take the burden off them.

********
Cameron

I stood in the kitchen, staring out the window. I knew this decision tore Valeria apart, but I wanted to feel excited.

"I see someone was rambunctious," Dad mentioned, standing next to me.

"It's not like we were messing around, and it happened. We didn't think Valeria could get pregnant," I told Dad.

"What do you think happens when you have sex?" Dad questioned with a look.

"Vincent wanted me to help her relax, so I did," I answered.

"He meant to take her on vacation or a massage," Dad said.

"Well, the massage led to one thing then another," I reasoned.

Dad looked at me incredulously, then rolled his eyes. My dad was of no help.

"Shouldn't you give me fatherly advice?" I asked.

"Okay, pray that Vincent doesn't hurt you," Dad answered.

I looked at Dad incredulously as he shrugged.

"I won't hurt Cameron," Vincent mentioned. We turned to see Vincent standing in the kitchen. "I expect him to accept responsibility and bring my grandchild into the world. That means making sure Valeria is attending doctor appointments and tracking care of herself. I do not want complications."

I stood there, speechless as Dad stifled his laugh.

"Why must I handle all decisions for everyone?" Vincent questioned.

I didn't know how to respond to that question, so I left the kitchen. I walked into the living room and saw Valeria. She looked at me.

"I think your dad threatened me," I mentioned.

Valeria looked at me with confusion. I walked over to her.

"I want to feel excited, and I don't want you to hate me for it. So, if that angers you, I understand," I rambled.

Valeria stood there, saying nothing as everyone watched us.

"I know you love working with your dad, but I want to be a father. If I have to propose, then I will," I added, sealing the deal.

"That's a terrible way to propose to someone," Valeria informed me.

"What do you expect? I'm not giving up with a fight. I walked away once, thinking it was an excellent idea, but it sucked. Why should I give up a chance to have a family with you? If you choose to work with your father over our baby, you give me no choice, then lock you in our new house. There I said it," I told Valeria, acting seriously.

"You're a drama queen," Valeria told me.

"Say what?" I asked.

"Dad fired me until after the baby is born, and your proposal sucked," Valeria said, walking away. Everyone laughed as I stood there, dumbfounded. What happened?