Compassion

Valeria

After that day, Cameron helped me. He made sure my incisions got cleaned, and I ate. I'm not used to having someone help me, which was weird. Since my surgery limited me on what I could do, I sat on the couch.

Cameron walked into the living room. "Why are you sitting there?" He asked me.

"Because it hurts to move, and it's not like I can go out dancing," I retorted.

Cameron arched an eyebrow at me. He left the room as I sighed. He returned a few minutes later with some books from the library.

"Here, keep yourself entertained," Cameron told me, placing the books next to me.

"Well, we could talk," I mentioned.

"We could, but we won't," Cameron said, leaving then the room.

I sat there and sighed. I picked up a book and started reading. Okay, I didn't expect us to be best friends, but it would be nice to talk to someone. I read for a while, then closed the book.

I blew air past my lips as I looked around at the living room. I laid my head back and started counting the holes in the ceilings. I never noticed all the little holes that were on the roof.

*********
Cameron

I came in from my run to see Valeria staring at the ceiling. I walked over and leaned on the back of the couch, looking at her upside down.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Counting the holes in the ceiling. I was up to one thousand and twenty-six," Valeria answered.

"I thought you were reading?" I questioned.

"I was, but I read the books you gave me four times already," Valeria replied.

"Why didn't you say so? I can get you some different books," I mentioned.

"Because I read all those books too," Valeria informed me.

"You didn't have many friends, did you?" I inquired.

"Define friends," Valeria said, avoiding the subject.

I looked at Valeria as she gave me a sheepish look.

"You do know there's more to life than keeping your nose in a book," I mentioned.

"Have you met my dad?" Valeria questioned.

"Yes, and don't use your dad as a scapegoat," I said, standing up and walking over to a chair. I sat down and looked at Valeria. "Look, you can use every excuse in the book. Didn't it ever occur to you that you didn't have friends, because you're you."

Valeria looked at me strangely like this was a foreign concept.

"What's wrong with me?" Valeria questioned with confusion.

"One word: competitive," I answered.

"I don't think I'm that competitive," Valeria mentioned.

"You pushed me into a pond when we played miniature golf so that I would beat you by one stroke," I reminded Valeria with a knowing look.

"Maybe you were hot, and I helped cool you off," Valeria suggested.

I shook my head. I got up and went upstairs to shower. I needed one after my run.

*******
Valeria

I sat on the couch and sighed. I got tired of sitting on the couch and got up, carefully. I got tired of cooped up in a house and made my way to the kitchen, going out of the back door. I found a chair and sat down, enjoying the fresh air.