Discovery

Valeria

All week, I felt horrible about the treatments. The doctor gave me a break for the weekend. I needed it. Cameron cleaned me up after I got sick and made sure that I ate.

I laid in bed, hugging my pillow when Cameron checked on me.

"How are you feeling?" Cameron asked with concern.

"Useless," I mumbled, laying there. That's how I felt most days. I know most people would say I shouldn't feel that way because of the treatments, but it's difficult not to feel like it. I'm more productive in my life and strive to follow in my dad's footsteps.

Cameron crouched in front of me as I looked at him.

"Since you have no treatments this weekend, I want to take you to the festival," Cameron mentioned.

I looked at him suspiciously. The last time we were to go to the festival, I was extremely sick. I didn't want to get my hopes up, then have them dashed.

"You need to get out of this bed and house. Staying here isn't helping to lift your spirits. Plus, it will be fun," Cameron added, giving me a soft smile.

I gave him a doubtful look.

"It will help," he reasoned.

I sighed and nodded. What did I have to lose?

******
Cameron

Once Valeria agreed to attend the festival, I went and made her some lunch. I grabbed fruits and vegetables along with other items to make a light meal for her. I made sure to include the half brownie to increase her appetite. I know I would have to pick up some more at some point since we were running low.

While I prepared lunch, I heard a knock at the back door. I turned to see my dad standing there. I put down my knife and walked over to the door.

"It seems we need to talk," Dad mentioned, and I sighed.

I stepped outside. "How did you find me?" I questioned.

"It's not difficult, considering Vincent went to the same treatment center in town. When you mentioned special treats, I figured it out," Dad answered, giving me a knowing look.

"Is Vincent with you?" I inquired, hoping Vincent wasn't.

"No," Dad replied. "Vincent doesn't know that I'm here."

I looked at my dad.

"Why did you lie, and what's wrong with Valeria?" Dad asked me.

"Valeria's sick," I answered. My dad looked at me, questionably. "She has breast cancer."

My dad's expression contorted into shock, and he furrowed his brows.

"The doctor diagnosed Valeria with malignant tumors in both breasts. They removed the breasts along with lymph nodes under each arm. She began an aggressive treatment of chemotherapy. Dad, the treatment is wreaking havoc in her," I explained.

"Cameron, you need to tell Lacey and Vincent," Dad advised.

"Valeria doesn't want them to know," I replied, shrugging.

"You can't keep this from them. Vincent and Lacey are Valeria's parents," Dad mentioned.

"I can't tell them not after what happened before this situation. You didn't see Valeria when she told me about her diagnosis. The girl who had control over everything, lost it," I reasoned.