Ringing the bell

Valeria

The past four months had been hellish for me with the chemotherapy. Between feeling sick and tired, I spent more time on the couch or in bed. My parents kept me entertained as much as possible, but I didn't have the energy.

Lexie brought Kacey to see me cheer me up. Kacey asked why I wore a bandana, and I explained it. She told me I look like a princess. That made me smile.

Different people visited me while I was home, but Dad kept it to a minimum. He didn't want me to develop another infection. If anyone came over, they couldn't be sick and had to wash their hands. I became accustomed to it.

I sat in the chair as I received my final treatment. Dad stayed with me.

"Today is the final day. Are you excited?" Dad asked me.

I smiled. "It feels surreal. There were times that I didn't think I would make it, but I did it," I answered cheekily.

"Yes, you did, and I couldn't be prouder my little fighter," Dad replied, smiling.

"So, I didn't tell you," I said.

"Tell me what?" Dad asked curiously.

"The dress shop is making sure my dress accommodates my prosthesis. I can pick them up in a few days along with a specialty bra," I said, making my dad smile. "I'm still not sure if I should wear a wig or not."

"Does it concern you about people's opinions?" Dad questioned.

"Not anymore," I replied.

"What changed your mind?" Dad asked me.

"Hair grows back, but it wouldn't matter if I died. I learned that life is worth more than hair," I answered, smiling.

Dad smiled at me. We talked as I finished my treatment. He helped me out of the chair and into a wheelchair. The last treatment exhausted me. Dad wheeled me out and over to a bell with a rope as people watched me, including the staff. I stared at it.

Dad crouched next to me. "It's time to ring the bell, signifying your last treatment. It's the best part of the treatment," Dad said, winking at me.

I inhaled a deep breath, then grabbed the roped, and rang the bell. People at the treatment center clapped and cheered.

My dad stood up and looked at everyone. "Today is my daughter's last chemotherapy treatment. My little fighter is a survivor," Dad announced as people clapped and smiled as he did the same.

The staff congratulated me; then, Dad wheeled me out to the car with Joe waiting. I looked at Dad. "Where's Cruz?"

"Cruz thought Joe should have the honor of picking you up from your final treatment since he drove you to it," Dad answered.

That made me smile as Joe helped Dad with me. He looked at me. "Congratulations, Valeria," Papa Joe said. I hugged him, then climbed into the back seat.

Dad and Joe got into the car.

"When you feel better, we should celebrate," Dad reasoned.

"Can I have a Ding Dong?" I asked.

My dad looked at me with surprise.

"I want one," I said, smiling. Dad chuckled as Joe drove us home.

Joe pulled into the driveway, and Dad helped me out of the car. I walked up to the front door and opened it to people yelling, "Surprise!"

I stood there, shocked.

"It seems Valeria is speechless," Dad announced, making everyone laugh. Then everyone clapped, making me cry.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Mom asked with concern as everyone looked at me.