Surprise

Valeria

I accepted Cameron's offer of living together. He enlisted help with moving into the house. My family and friends ordered me not to help. I was capable of assisting with the move. Every time someone caught me carrying a box, the person took the table from me.

Mom and Lexie helped me pack my items. Dad had furniture delivered to the house. While I labeled the boxes with a magic marker, my phone rang. I answered it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Valeria, it's Dr. Crenshaw," the doctor greeted me.

"Hello, Doctor," I said, alerting my mom and sister. Mom had Lexie get Dad and Cameron.

"I need you to come to my office. We received your recent test results," the doctor said, making my heart drop. Dad and Cameron came to my bedroom doorway with Lexie.

"Oh," I said. The doctor hung up, and I sat there, looking at my phone.

"What did the doctor say?" Dad asked with concern.

"He received my latest test results and wants me to come to his office. I don't have a great feeling about this," I mentioned, looking at everyone. My family and Cameron looked at me with concern as I stood up. "I haven't made it my first anniversary."

I felt defeated as I walked towards the door. Cameron ushered me out and took me to the doctors. I sat in the car silently. I stared out the window as the landscape passed by and hoped for good news.

Cameron pulled up to the doctor's office, and we got out of the car. We walked inside, and the nurse ushered us to an office. We walked in and sat down in chairs in front of the doctor's desk, waiting for him.

"No matter what, you're not alone," Cameron reassured me.

I nodded as the doctor entered the office and sat down in a desk chair. He opened the file and looked at it.

"So, when does the next round of treatment start?" I asked, getting to the point.

The doctor looked at me.

"I know the side effects of the treatment and expect to handle it. I need to inform my dad of dates so that I can take time off from work," I added, preparing for the worse.

"Valeria, you don't need to resume treatments," the doctor informed me.

"What?" I asked.

"Your test results came back, showing no cancer. That's why I want to see you," the doctor informed me.

I sat there, surprised. I wasn't expecting that news.

"That's fantastic," Cameron declared. He pulled me into a hug as I felt relief wash over me.

"But there is another issue," the doctor added.

We stopped hugging and looked at the doctor.

"What's the other issue?" I asked with confusion.

"How have you been feeling lately?" The doctor asked me.

"A little tired, but I figure my body is recovering," I answered, not sure why the doctor wanted to know.

"Do you feel sick?" The doctor asked.

"No, I've been eating healthy and resting when I feel overwhelmed. We are moving to a house, but no one allows me to help," I replied, giving Cameron a look.

"Doctor, what's happening? Is there an issue?" Cameron asked.

"Well, if you consider pregnancy an issue, then yes," the doctor answered, shocking us.