Reflections

Valeria

Cameron drove back to the dock after spending the day on the boat. It was nice to get out of the house and get fresh air. He docked the boat and climbed down, tying it to the posts, then helped me down. Usually, I would push his hands away, but I learned you push your pride aside and accept help.

We walked back to the beach house, and once inside, I went to the couch and sat down.

"Tired?" Cameron asked me as I sunk into the couch.

"Today has been a physical day for me. I feel drained," I said sighing.

Cameron walked over and sat down on the coffee table and looked at me. "It's because you're not used to the activity. You went through a lot the past few months. No one would fault you for your limitations," Cameron reasoned.

"My life changed quickly. In one fell swoop, I went from focusing on a career to wondering if I would live or not. It's a wake-up call," I reasoned.

"You don't sound as somber as you did," Cameron mentioned.

I looked at Cameron. "I had time to understand my illness and myself. The surgery was difficult, losing a part of you. The hair loss was devastating because it made it real. The doctor explains what to expect, but until it does, you don't have a clue," I explained.

"Do you wish your parents were here with you?" Cameron asked me.

"Honestly, I don't know. I think I have someone who did a fine job of helping me," I answered, smiling.

"Oh?" Cameron inquired.

"Yes, because this person cleaned me up when I couldn't do it myself. They also made me a bedazzled bandana. The person prepared food, making sure I ate. He made me feel beautiful when I felt hideous," I replied.

Cameron looked at me, smiling softly.

"When I looked in the mirror and saw my hair in the hairbrush, I thought, am I vain? I mean, hair grows back, so why did I cry? Then I saw my reflection as I noticed patches missing. I lost my breasts and then my hair," I said, looking at Cameron.

"Because you had to deal with a lot in a short amount of time. No one will fault you for crying since it was emotional. One thing you need to remember, you're fighting to live," Cameron reasoned.

I sat there and smiled. The first time I removed my bandages and saw the incision, it felt surreal to me. I stared at the stitches that replaced my breasts. Cancer took my breasts, then my hair. It made me weak and sick. How can a disease take so much from someone in a short amount of time? Simple, it doesn't care.

********
Cameron

I looked at Valeria as she sat on the couch, reflecting on everything. I watched a girl who I grew up competing with me to find out that she had to fight her entire life. You never know someone until you spend time and watch them fight.

"What?" Valeria asked, looking at me curiously.

"You fought your entire life because that's all you knew," I mentioned.

Valeria looked at me with surprise.

"If you think about it, from the time you were born, you fought to live. When your parents worried about keeping you safe, you wanted to do things on your own. Valeria, you've always been a fighter," I reasoned.

"I'm a fighter, aren't I?" Valeria asked, grinning.

"Always," I answered as Valeria grinned.

I smiled, knowing that Valeria would fight. She had to because I couldn't imagine my life without her in it.