Headpiece

Valeria

I continued my treatments, making me sicker, and my hair falling out completely. Cameron gave me treats to help with my appetite. I don't know where he bought these, but it increased my desire. That made me grateful.

I searched my room for something to cover my bald head. I found a ridiculous hat in the closet and put it on. I heard someone chuckle as I looked at Cameron.

"What are you wearing?" He asked me, pointing at my hat.

"I needed something to wears on my head," I answered, trying to maintain my dignity.

"And you thought that wearing a ridiculous hat would help?" Cameron questioned with a look.

"Well, yes," I replied.

Cameron roared with laughter. I reached up and removed the hat from my head.

"It's better than looking at a bald head. Maybe it would keep people from staring at me," I whispered.

Cameron stopped laughing, and I put the hat back. I walked over and sat down on the foot of the bed. What little dignity I had left evaporated. He left the bedroom, and I sighed. I reached up and ran my palm over my scalp. It's stupid to worry about what people think, but did you ever have people stare at you? It's unnerving.

It's bad enough that I'm receiving treatments, which wreak havoc on my body. I just wanted to look beautiful since I didn't feel like it.

Cameron returned and sat down on the bed next to me. He pulled out a bandana with jewels on it and held it up to me.

"Did you bedazzled a bandana?" I questioned with a look.

"Well, we can't have you wear something ugly. A beautiful woman shouldn't subject herself to something plain," Cameron said, putting the bandana on my head and tying it.

I reached up and felt the jewels on it. I stood up and walked over to the mirror, then looked at my reflection. A smile curled upon my lips.

"It makes me look like a princess," I said, admiring the bandana. Cameron made it look stylish and not flashy.

Cameron walked over to me and stood behind me. "Isn't that what you are?" He asked.

I looked at Cameron.

"But I wouldn't say princess, but a queen. See, a queen is more badass than a princess, and in chess, the queen is the strongest," Cameron explained.

"Oh, I don't think that I'm a queen," I mentioned, touching the bandana.

"Why not?" Cameron asked.

I turned to face him. "Because I'm not strong. I'm hanging on barely," I said, looking at Cameron.

Cameron teacher for my hands and held them. "Valeria, you're stronger than you know. You need to believe in that," he told me.

I noticed how gentle Cameron was with me when he held my hands. It was affection I hadn't felt in a long time. It felt lovely.

*****
Cameron

I looked at Valeria wearing her bandana, feeling my heart beat fast. I leaned down and captured her lips with mine. The kiss started gently; then, I deepened it. Valeria responded with kissing me back.

I know I shouldn't have kissed Valeria, but something about her, made me want to kiss her. Then I broke from our kiss.

"What's wrong?" Valeria asked with a questionable look.

"I shouldn't have done that," I said, walking away.

I left the bedroom and went downstairs, then went for a run. I needed to clear my head. I was developing feelings for someone I shouldn't. Vincent is paying me to protect Valeria, not fall for her.