Hope

Valeria

Cameron persuaded me to leave the house. I tried to convince him it was better if we stayed. He won, and I lost. He drove us to town and pulled into a parking spot. I got out of the car and looked around at everything and everyone. Cameron walked over to me.

"No one's staring at me," I mentioned as I turned and looked at Cameron.

"Because there's no reason to stare. I think the wig helped," Cameron mentioned, pointing to the wig I was wearing. It looked like my natural hairstyle. "Plus, if people stare, that means your beauty awes them." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes. "That's the cheesiest line ever," I commented.

"Yeah, but it works," Cameron replied, winking at me.

I chuckled softly. Cameron slid his hand into mine, and we walked down the sidewalk. We made our way to an ice cream shop and went inside. I let go of his hand and walked over to the cases that held containers of ice cream.

The place had several kinds of ice cream, but there was one I looked for and found it. "Can I get an ice cream cone of Superman ice cream?" I asked, pointing at the flavor.

"Make that two," Cameron added as the person nodded.

"I haven't had Superman ice cream in years," I mentioned, waiting for my cone.

"You're kidding?" Cameron question. I looked at him. "You're not kidding."

"I was busy with school and trying to become a businesswoman," I said, shrugging.

"That's like not drinking Vernors and Faygo pop, and not eating Better Maid potato chips. Are you sure you grew up in Michigan?" Cameron questioned.

"What? It's not like it's a requirement to live here," I retorted.

"Uh, yes, it is. Certain things in Michigan makes you a Michigander. Besides certain foods, you have the jargon, and play Euchre," Cameron reasoned.

The guy handed us our ice cream cones, and we walked over to a table and sat down to discuss the concept of all things Michigan.

"Okay, I'll admit that we have a unique idea about things," I said.

"Unique? Try different," Cameron countered. "We're the only state with Michigan lefts, we love our sports teams even if they suck ass, and we have two peninsulas that hate each other. Yeah, we're way different than most states. Plus, Ohio hates us," Cameron explained.

I couldn't help but chuckle.

"The best part is that you're here," Cameron said, making me smile.

"Well, you can thank my parents. Landon and I were born here while Mom gave birth to Lexie in Spain," I said, licking my ice cream.

"Doesn't your sister have dual citizenship?" Cameron asked me.

"Yes, because Dad applies for American citizenship for Lexie. He didn't want to chance her not able to stay in the states," I explained.

"How did your parents end up in Spain and having Lexie?" Cameron asked.

"Dad said they went to visit Sergio and thought it would be better for Mom's pregnancy. Mom said Santino wouldn't leave her stomach alone while she was pregnant," I answered, making Cameron laugh.

"That should have told your dad that he lost with Santino," Cameron joked, chuckling.

"Dad seems to lose a lot when it comes to the people in our lives and us," I said, giggling.