Hide and seek

Valeria

I woke up the next day next to Cameron, who was sleeping next to me on the floor. I must have fallen asleep during the movie. You can't blame me because that's a long movie and I tire easily.

I laid on my side, looking at Cameron. He was the last person I expected to help me. We didn't get along growing up, so it surprised me about the things he did since my diagnosis. It made it less lonely and scary with him here.

Cameron opened his eyes and yawned. "Morning," he said as I laid there.

"Morning," I whispered.

Cameron rubbed his eyes and stretched.

"I'm sorry that I fell asleep during the movie," I whispered.

Cameron looked at me. "No worries, you needed the rest," he assured me.

"I'm such a fun date," I teased.

"Yeah, you're the best with your napping schedule. Most women talk through a movie, you snore," Cameron joked.

I rolled my eyes as he chuckled.

"So, I thought we could have a picnic on the beach today," Cameron mentioned.

"A picnic sounds lovely," I replied.

"Then it's set. You take a shower and changed, then later we will have a picnic," Cameron suggested.

That made me smile. I didn't have to stay cooped up in the house. I couldn't wait.

********
Cameron

I got up and helped Valeria. She went to take a shower as I cleaned up the living room. Last night, she fell asleep during the movie. I didn't have the heart to wake her. Most guys would be bothered by it, but I'm not most guys.

As I finished packing up the items, I heard Valeria yelled, making me rush upstairs. I went through her bedroom and into the bathroom to see her standing there, holding the bandana.

"Some of the jewels fell off. That means I'm not a princess or pretty. I can't even keep jewels on a piece of cloth or my hair for that matter," Valeria said, staring at the bandana.

I furrowed my brows.

"No one will love me, and I don't blame them. Who wants to love a hideous monster? It's my fault for the way I treated people. God is punishing me for my behavior," Valeria scolded herself.

I crept towards Valeria and put my hands on her hands. "You're not a hideous monster, and God isn't punishing you. Your beauty doesn't come from a piece of cloth with fake jewels. It comes from here," I said, pointing to her heart.

Valeria looked at me through glassy eyes.

"People associate beauty by the shell, but that's not true. It comes from within a person. Yes, you treated people terribly, but that's not you now. The person you are now is a fighter. You're stronger than you know," I reasoned.

Valeria nodded.

"Look, take a shower, and I will fix the bandana," I assured Valeria. That helped somewhat, but it was a temporary fix.

Valeria handed me the bandana, and I left so that she could shower. I came downstairs, grabbed my keys, and left the beach house. I drove to town and pulled up to a costume shop. Yep, the same one that I bought the Elvis costume.