MDSC [35]

have some fun doodles of skye (this was for anatomy nothing else (・´з'・))

Chapter 35

Sam hadn't noticed how much time has passed as he stared down on the floor with his head in his palms. He hadn't moved an inch ever since he told Jae to leave. There was an aching hunger in his stomach that has yet to be filled but he wasn't in the mood to do anything right now.

He shut his eyes closed, savoring the peace and quiet of his room that contrasted the dark echoes of his thoughts. When did things become complicated? He just wanted to be normal. Why couldn't he be normal?

A memory flashed through his mind.

-

"Samael, darling, do you want to hear the story of when I was younger?" Sam was back in his dad's enormous house. He was lounging in the vast living room space with the television on. His dad and his brother were out for their personal routine and Sam was thankful for the privacy on a weekend.

However, his privacy was short-lived when his grandmother descended from her room and had walked herself to the living room, sitting down on the same couch Sam was relaxing on. Sam felt a strange longing to his grandmother and he was the only one in his family who hadn't been ignoring her. "You already told me that a thousand times, Grandma," Sam just answered.

A smile lit his grandma's face as she kept both of her wrinkly hands on her cane. "Alright, then. Do you want to hear more about the Grinch?" Her voice was tender and sweet as she talked to her favorite grandson.

Sam perked up a little bit but didn't take his eyes off the TV. He silently grabbed the remote and lowered the volume down as an invitation for his grandmother to continue talking.

"As you know, the Grinch is a lonely young man. So many tragedies have befallen upon him and this has twisted his perspective of life," Grandma started, her eyes gently closing as she began to cast an image in her head, "It didn't take long for him to realize that he was the only one to be so unlucky. The others have led a fulfilling and normal life which angered him. He always wondered if the gods had given him all the bad luck in the world as a sacrifice for other people to live normally."

Sam had sunk in his seat, feeling aloof on whatever the Grinch may have gone through but also felt sympathetic for him. Must be the blood, he thought. He listened intently as his grandmother continued.

"The Grinch was very furious. Even if he tried his hardest to be happy and content, things just always seemed to fall apart. It was like he was destined to be alone. He was destined to be sad and angry. One day, after so many years of enduring the darkness that surrounded him, he decided to try his luck. Maybe his bad luck will run out." Grandma opened her eyes while she observed the intense look on Sam's face as he gazed at the TV. "He tried to meet someone and befriend them. Fortunately, the person was feeling quite alone themselves and wanted some company even if it was from a scary-looking young man."