MDSC [27]

sam & jae made by yours trulyi love drawing and making cute comics about them tbh

i love drawing and making cute comics about them tbh

Chapter 27

Since there was still a month of summer vacation, Jae decided to search for a part-time job. She found two to three online from the mall that she went to with Sam and Skye last time. One particularly caught her eye. It seemed like the cafe that she went to eat with Skye was hiring. She contacted the number to ask if they're open for part-timers.

"Sure, come in this day so we can have your interview!" the woman from the other call said.

Really? It was that easy? "O-oh, but I'm just reminding you I'm not looking for anything permanent. Just a part-time job for one month," Jae cleared out just so there wasn't any misunderstanding.

"You have an impeccable sense of timing, I assure you. One of my workers was taking a leave for a month so we're short on one person," the woman, who has introduced himself as the manager, told her. "But you have to come in today so you can start tomorrow."

"Oh, sure! I'll come today. Give me an hour," Jae remarked before she dropped the call. In her excitement, she hadn't even asked how much she would be paid but it's not like she was interested in that. She just wanted to do something rather than stay at home for one month.

Jae got dressed and texted her mom and brother about her whereabouts. Before long, she took a bus to the mall and got there earlier than the time she mentioned. The same as the first time, the cafe wasn't too popular with just a few customers occupying the seats. She pushed open the door, the aroma of coffee seeping in her nose. Ah.

She looked around, observing the person behind the counter and looking out for the manager whom she talked to on the phone. When the manager was nowhere in sight, she inched towards the counter and asked, "Is the manager here?"

The young guy, who was looking pretty bored, nodded. "She's in the back." He gestured to a room and then went back to staring at the door.

Jae frowned. "Is it okay if I go out back?"

"Yeah, whatever," he answered, completely dismissing her. Jae shrugged and then went to the back door.

"Hello?" she called out. "Is anyone here?"

A woman wearing a manager uniform popped her head out. "Oh, you must be Camilla!" she announced. "You're early. Come here, sit down." The manager was surprisingly chill. She introduced herself as Rose and that she rented this place with borrowed money from her family. Jae didn't know why she started spouting off her life story but she nodded along with her anyway.

Rose stopped in the middle of her story. "Oops, I got carried away. Anyhow, you'll work the counter like Chris out there." She stood up from her seat and motioned for Jae to follow her out. They went around the counter where Chris excused himself so he wouldn't have to join in. Rose basically pointed out where the coffee beans are stacked, where the toppings are, where the different kinds of milk are stored and which flavor is their customer's favorite. After that, she motioned for Chris to teach Jae how to work the machines.