MDSC [34]

Chapter 34

"Look, I don't know how true this is but... I heard that the Grinch causes accidents or troubles to everyone around them."

Sam's breathing hitched in his throat. Countless thoughts were swimming in his head and they were not pretty. Jae's words hadn't helped calm him down. Instead, it feels like his shoulders were getting heavier by the minute. Does he even want to know what else Jae knows?

Sam didn't want to meet Jae's gaze. "Is it alright for you to release information?" he asked quite bitterly.

Jae swallowed a lump in her throat. Sam was being difficult again. "I can't tell you anything about the Claus," she said, hinting the irritation in her voice, "but I can tell you what they know about you."

Sam huffed, thinking hard about what his next move should be. Jae can't stay here. If she does, they'll likely get into a fight again. It'd be on his conscience if Jae says something that she shouldn't just because she felt pity for him. Maybe he was right the first time. He can't be friends with Jae anymore without making her do things that she doesn't want to.

"You need to leave," Sam stated, his decision all made up. "I'll see you at school."

A look of annoyance crossed her face. Sam was closing himself off, again. She was getting tired of the whole she-bang. Maybe she needs space from Sam before she tries again. Sliding off the bed with an unsatisfied grunt, Jae looked over him with her cold gaze. "I'm just trying to look out for you, Sam. Please don't do anything stupid." She grabbed her backpack lying on the floor.

Sam didn't respond as Jae disappointedly glanced at him over her shoulder before she headed towards the door. She pressed the password in his keypad, pausing for a moment to see if her friend would change his mind about her leaving, but when he didn't say a peep, Jae left. The door closed.

Sam was alone again with only his dark thoughts chipping away at him as company.

Jae arrived at her apartment floor with disappointment written all over her face. She expected the room would be empty where she can wallow in peace, but was surprised to see there was a crowd in the middle of the floor as soon as she opened the door. She wondered briefly if she entered the right room and her suspicions drifted away at the sight of Maggie on her bed with two more unknown people.

Jae walked into a bunch of people playing a drinking game of some sorts and they all stopped to turn around to look at her when she opened the door, disturbing the middle of their game. Jae could feel her anxiety shot up in response as she tried to slip a casual smile on her face.

"Oh, hey, Jae," Maggie greeted. "I wanted to let you know I'd have visitors in the room but you weren't home and I don't have your number," she explained rather flatly as she flicked her wrist in the air.

"Who's your friend, Margaret?"
"Is she one of your popular roommates?"
"Ask her if she wants to stay and drink!"

The people began to ask questions about Jae and Jae, feeling like she had entered something she couldn't handle, began to take a step back. "Oh, no worries. You guys have fun." Before Maggie could respond, she spun around on her heels and slammed the door close.

Dang it. Can't she just relax in peace? She could always just go out. Jae could sense her already hollow feeling get even worse. The day had started out perfect but now it was spiraling out of her control. Sighing, she walked down the hallway, gripping her backpack strap.

"Oh, Jae!" Sera's voice suddenly snapped her out of her trance.

She looked up to see Sera coming out of the elevator with a bunch of beer bottles in her hand. She must be going back and mingling with the others, even when she didn't know them. How nice is it that you can hang out with people you don't even know? "Hi, Sera," Jae said, trying to be eager but failed miserably. She let out another sigh. "Sorry, I had a rough day."