MDSC [26]

the only time they won't be arguing is when they're bonding over Jae

Chapter 26

Jae had just finished showering and dressing up. She ran down the stairs and headed straight into the kitchen where her brother was eating. "Mom had an emergency meeting at work," Adams stated without even glancing at her as he scrolled through his phone.

"What?" Jae gasped as she slammed a hand on the kitchen table, panic flashing in her eyes. "She promised me she'd drive me to Whitedale!" If she took the bus, she'd still be late for enrollment for at least 30 minutes. That was why she had her mom clear up her schedule for this morning because she needed someone to drive her.

"Why couldn't you just learn how to drive? You're like 20," Adams remarked with a roll of his eyes, still uninterested with whatever dilemma his little sister was enduring right now. "And before you ask me, I'm not available today. I have a job interview."

Jae furrowed her brows in irritation. "I'm turning 20 this year! Ugh, you are the worst."

"Better hurry your ass up or you won't be going to college, dearest sister," he mocked with a sly grin as he looked up from his phone.

Jae groaned loudly as she stuffed her face with toasted bread and eggs for breakfast. She didn't even sit down because she was too much in a hurry. She was about to gulp down fresh, hot coffee down her throat but thought better of it and just downed a regular glass of water. She rummaged into the drawers and found a tumbler for the coffee. She decided to just drink it on the way.

Within five minutes, she was ready to go. Her head snapped around as she tried to think if she had forgotten something. "I'm going, Adams."

"Whatever," Adams responded. Surprisingly, he added, "Good luck."

It was the kind of turn-around Jae needed for this morning. She shot him a smile that he didn't see because he was staring at his goddamn phone. Jae shook her head as she dashed towards the front door, grabbing her coat in the process before opening the front door.

Maybe this morning still has a chance. Especially when there was yet another surprise that was waiting for her outside the door. A small gasp escaped her lips as her familiar friend had his truck parked in front of their house. "Sam!"

"Get in!" Sam ushered as he opened the passenger seat door. Jae didn't hesitate and climbed onto the truck. She hadn't shut the door fully when Sam already drove off.

Jae snickered once the door was fully shut. She placed her bag containing her papers for the enrollment. "Why are you here?"

"We're here to enroll, aren't we?" Sam looked different today. He was clean-shaven and there was a twinkle in his eyes. This was definitely one of his good days.

"Oh my god, you're going to college with me?" Jae announced. She squealed excitedly, hugging her friend's arm for a moment before she remembered he was driving.