MDSC [3]

Chapter 3

It was a busy day. The streets were filled with people. Jae was hurriedly walking down the sidewalk, her breathing a bit disoriented as she calmly tried to jog on the way to school. Class started 30 minutes ago and they were supposed to have a test today. She was so dead.

Her alarm clock didn't go off. She found out she forgot to set it on last night. And now, she wasn't ready for the consequences.

Her breath fogged in front of her and she kept herself distracted, trying not to think about the exam and her terror teacher. She kept her hands inside the pockets of her hoodie to keep it warm from the cold.

As she was walking quietly through the busy streets, she suddenly bumped into somebody and she reflexively apologized. The man who bumped into her was long gone before she could even blink.

She continued walking, suddenly feeling confused and mixed up at the same time. Something felt familiar. She distinctly remembered glimpsing a head full of silver-white hair that bumped into her.

Her heartbeat quickened as she turned around. Only to find the man was already eaten up by the busy crowd. She instinctively took her left hand out and gazed at the accessory on her wrist. On it was a cute, little Christmas tree charm.

***

"Camilla, you up for some Christmas shopping today?" Jae's brother asked. Jae was busy reading a book that she ignored her brother. Her brother huffed in annoyance and then continued to bug his little sister. "C'mon sis, Christmas is days away. You haven't bought a single gift!"

"Unless you lend me money for Christmas shopping, you are dead to me right now," Jae murmured, her focus intensely on the book she was reading. She was just getting to the good part.

Jae's brother, Adams, scratched his head. He was in dire need of assistance, specially shopping for gifts. He knew how much the crowd is real busy since Christmas was coming in just a couple more days. And his sister Jae knows her way around the shops. Women are skilled just like that. "C'mon sis, I really need your company."

"Why do you even need to buy gifts? You've never bought me one!" Jae said as she sat up from the couch she was lying on. "Wait... don't tell me this is for the girl you've brought home last week!" She practically shot up while expectantly looking at his brother. Her big, brown eyes were brightening. This is gonna be good.

A blush settled on his brother's cheeks. "Uh..."

"Adams, if you need some girl help, you could've just said so." Jae closed the book as she memorized the number of the page she was on. She would never put down a book. Never. Especially so when she was so close to the good parts of the story. But maybe she could, just this once. Just for her brother whom she barely hangs out with.

"I've got some extra money in my pocket. I can help you with your Christmas shopping as well," Adams said, hope springing up when her sister offered to do shopping with him.

"I'm only doing this once," Jae finally said. She raced back to her room to change clothes and then rushed back downstairs with a purse with her extra money in it. Just in case she wanted to buy something that was way out of her brother's budget.

Adams sagged in relief. He was not ready to do Christmas shopping by himself.

A couple of minutes later, they were walking pass the nearest mall to their house. There were so many people, it was almost making Jae claustrophobic. Her brother walked beside her, his hands in the pockets of his hoodie as he took in the sight of the stores.