MDSC [31]

Chapter 31

Although it was a bit late, Skye agreed to take Jae to see the movie. He was looking forward to it as well, enough to make him crack up just by hearing the synopsis from Jae. What makes it especially exciting was this was Jae's first time to ask him out.

He didn't make a big deal out of it, though. He kept repeating in his mind that this was what friends do and that Jae and her emo friend probably does this a lot, too. He was fine with being her friend, absolutely content. There was no need to take it up a notch when they're both having fun in their current dynamic.

Skye cracked up jokes and stories all the way their trip to the movies. He was used to Jae being quiet now and accepted that she was the way she was. There was no need to take her silence personally because she talks when she wants to. They arrived at the movie theater in Skye's shiny, red car and parked it on the street.

Jae volunteered to buy the snacks while Skye bought the tickets. The sun had already set and they should be eating dinner right now yet they're both giddy as kids for their movie date. A couple of minutes later, they entered the dark cinema with Jae on the lead, using her camera flashlight to light the way. They found a nice, cozy spot in front with no one around them so they could snicker and make jokes all night long.

Once they're seated, Jae gave him his portion of the snacks. The movie hasn't even started yet Jae was halfway through her hotdog sandwich. This was their dinner, after all. Skye began to guess the plot to Jae with his ideas more ridiculously hilarious than what the trailer showed. Jae managed not to choke on her food twice while she chortled at Skye's dumb stories.

The movie started and that cut their conversation off. Skye didn't have high expectations of the movie but, to be honest, he found himself enjoying it halfway through. Both he and Jae laughed even at the smallest absurdity. During the times the scenes were intense, Skye would dart his eyes towards Jae, who was watching the screen with the same intensity.

He would notice how Jae inhaled sharply whenever she was caught off-guard, how her lips parted when one of the characters was delving into something dangerous, and her ugly snort when the scenes were too out of timing. Skye kept trying to glue his eyes to the screen, only for his sight to come back to the person beside him.

What is it with Jae that made her so interesting to him?

Skye had flirted with a dozen girls before; girls more beautiful than Jae. Girls that fought hard for his attention, not the other way around. Girls that weren't hard to impress. Jae was different somehow. More often than not, Jae brushed him off and he upsets her a lot. Yet she was the only outsider who knows about him and his secrets. She was trustworthy that way.

He didn't know what made Jae trustworthy, it's just what he felt. His first real friend.

"What? Is there something on my face?" Jae wasn't oblivious when she found Skye staring at her more so than usual. It made her heart flutter in nervousness but she didn't want to overthink it. He was probably just deep in thought.

Skye blinked twice before smiling. "Nothing, sweetheart," he sang in amusement. "Just thinking about how you asked me out on a date."

Heat began to creep up Jae's cheeks. "I didn't ask you out on a date!" she hissed, sinking into her seat.

"So, you came to my house to what?" he asked with an innocent look on his face. "For friendship?"

Jae rolled her eyes, gulping down her nerves. "I saw the poster and thought you'd like it. It doesn't have to be so complex," she answered with a huff. "Now, shut up and let me watch the movie." A blush stayed on Jae's cheeks as she turned her attention towards the movie screen. She could still feel Skye's stare on her but she didn't move an inch.