MDSC [16]

Chapter 16

Finals came and went. Jae managed to get scores than her usual average ones this time. It was thanks to Sam for torturi—tutoring her. She also passed all of the requirements needed to be passed before the deadline. And right now, she was safe to finally relax.

She sat underneath their usual tree, a little confused when she didn't find Sam sitting there. He must still be doing something. A bit of guilt seeped into her guts. What if Sam didn't finish his requirements because he was too busy helping her?

She immediately flicked the question out of her head. Sam would definitely ask her help if that was the case.

She took out her phone, trying to decide if she'd text Sam or not. A cold breeze kissed her cheek and she shivered. She could already smell Christmas approaching. Sighing as she sunk in the realization of how fast time passes by, another cold wind said hello as the leaves shook softly.

Not long until the second semester would start. And somewhere at the beginning of the second semester was their Christmas break. She wondered how it would go. Usually, she'd wait for Skye to appear on the night of Christmas.

But Skye's here. He visited as often as he could. He would always say he was visiting because of his cousin, but then he'll hang out with Jae for the rest of the day anyway. Jae tried to ask once if she can visit their home, but Skye said no too quickly. And she never brought it up again.

She daydreamed about what kind of house Skye lived in. Was it the same as hers? Was it homey and cozy and comfortable? But then, he did have to work on Christmas day itself. So where do they do their thing? The gifts and the list of good and naughty kids? The magical reindeers and the sleigh? If they even have one. Do they?

Jae mentally listed all the questions she would ask Skye the next time they meet. Was she even allowed to visit his home? Didn't Sir Wynter say that she wasn't supposed to know anything and that it was a private, family secret?

Shame flushed her face. That's right. Only family. She only found out about all of these because Skye needed to get it out. Even if it was a secret, he had unintentionally answered all of her questions. Or maybe it was intentional? Or maybe he just had to vent. Repressed feelings can get him in trouble in the future. Or maybe he just doesn't know the severity of the secret. He is a newbie or something.

But he is an adult. He should have known how much it would cost them if he showed the world their entire mysteries. What would happen?

Although, Sir Wynter didn't seem so strict about the family secret, both the cousins were scared of someone. The Grandpa. Their Grandpa, she supposed. Was he in charge then? Jae would love to meet him. If she was even allowed to meet him.

As much as she hated to admit it, Jae was desperately curious about everything Skye is. She'd love to get to know him better. His glistening, white hair has nothing to do with it. Nothing.

But maybe once her curiosity was satisfied, she'd stop thinking about him all the time. Maybe that was it, she was just too curious about everything he is.

She exhaled loudly as she rested her chin against her fist. "Skye," she murmured under her breath.

A branch above her screeched loudly and before she reflexively looked upward, a figure fell from the supposed branch and right in front of her. She yelped in response and scooted away from the young man. A groan came in his direction and Jae switched from surprise to concern.

"Are you ok?" she asked, reaching out a hand but not immediately grabbing him. The man shook the leaves off his hair with one hand and dusted his hoodie off. When he finally raised his eyes to meet hers, Jae was genuinely surprised. "Skye? What the hell are you doing here?"