MDSC [25]

(a cute comic by me!)

Chapter 25

"Ah, I miss home already." Margaret pulled a cart with a lot of her things into the middle of their newly-rented apartment where she and Jae would spend the rest of their university days. Maggie released the cart, letting her luggage that was tied together by a rope, drop on the floor. She then proceeded to drop on the floor as well.

There was still one month of summer vacation yet once the two of them found a roommate; they readily signed the contract for the apartment. Both of them had asked permission to move their things here as soon as possible so they grasp a feel on what their new normal would be like. They already made key duplicates for each one of them so they could visit whenever they liked.

Maggie sighed in relief as she stared at the ceiling. "I can't believe we're really here."

"I'm so excited," Jae commented while she was lying down on the bed she would be sleeping upon in the next few years. Her heart was hammering in her chest as the vision of her student life flashed across her mind. "We're like, independent now."

Maggie let out a groan. "That's a downside. It's such a drag to go back and forth from home to university. Why is Whitedale University two hours away from our hometown?" The cool air coming from the air conditioner filled the closed quarters in contrast to the summer heat right outside. "It would be so convenient if we lived right next to our university, right?"

"It's better this way," Jae pointed out, "At least now our moms won't nag on us every single minute."

Maggie laughed before she sat up from the floor and continued to unpack her belongings. "When's our roommate coming?" They found another roommate after posting about their dilemma on a Whitedale group page on social media. They were able to converse with a Whitedale senior student whose old roommate moved out and now she was trying to find a new apartment. She was nice enough that Jae instantly found a date when they'd do the contract signing.

It was last week when they first met one another. Her name was Sera with bright, red hair. She had multiple piercings on her ears and she kept her makeup as natural as possible. She could pass as a Goth if she wore dark makeup, especially since her fashion choice was always standing out. When they met, she was wearing a tight, black party dress even though she said she was not attending any party. For Jae, her first impression of Sera was she was cool, casual, and nice, everything she was not.

The door swung open as if on cue. "There's my new roomies." Sera strolled inside the room with one luggage bag. It made Jae and Maggie feel like she was underprepared to move in. "Are you done packing? I want to take you girls out."

"Is that all you have?" Maggie cried out. "Look at my stuff!" She gestured to the large pile of bags that she packed.

Sera chuckled. "Ah, to be a freshman student," she drawled. For her bed, Sera completely agreed to sleep on a mattress they borrowed from the building. Jae was worried about it since it didn't seem fair and have already arranged a schedule so all of them has a chance to sleep on a bed, but Sera told her that it was fine and she'd be sleeping over at her boyfriend's apartment every chance she gets. "You don't need all that stuff, trust me."