MDSC [4]

Chapter 4

"Why do you want to sleep on the couch again?" Pauline, Jae's mother, gave her a skeptical look, her arms crossed in front of her.

Jae gave her mom an innocent smile. "The kids would be sleeping in my room. I'm ok with sleeping on the couch, seriously, mom."

It was past midnight. The night was already over, the food half-diminished, the dishes were washed. But the presents lay underneath the bright Christmas tree in their living room, waiting to be opened at first light.

"You hate sleeping on the couch. And it's going to be so cold this night. I could call your brother so he could sleep on the couch while you go sleep in his room." Jae's mom made a motion to call for her eldest but Jae already stopped her.

"Really! I'm fine, mom! Adams is likely asleep by now. It's really okay. Besides, Ashe would be here with me." Jae motioned to the dog, a black-and-white-spotted, pure-bred shih tzu. The dog barked in return. It was her aunt's dog that they dropped by because they're on a vacation right now.

Her mom shook her head, still slightly opposed by this, but there was nothing she could do. It was only for a night anyway. "Fine. Ashe, bark whenever you see someone suspicious, alright?"

The dog leaned as she wagged her tail eagerly.

Jae couldn't help her grin. "Good night, mom." She figured that the tiredness made her mom subject easily to her wishes. Her mom waved at her dismissively before climbing up the stairs, leaving the teenager alone in the living room.

Jae lie awake on the couch, the ticking of the clock was her only companion. She gazed at the bracelet on her wrist absent-mindedly as she hummed a quiet Christmas tune. An hour passed. Ashe was already asleep beside her and drowsiness was already seeping at the back of her eyes. Santa Claus was late.

She was on the verge of slipping into dreamland when she felt a freezing breeze flow past her. Her senses were immediately alert but she refrained from opening her eyes. The windows were supposedly closed. Someone just opened the window.

Her heartbeat thrummed against her chest as a memory from last year's Christmas was relieved. Santa Claus disappeared right in front of her. He didn't need to open a door or a window. He has that unique magical ability that only he can use. Her excitement was slowly turning into fear.

Ashe stirred beside her arm and she wished that the dog wouldn't wake up just so she wouldn't face the intruder.

Jae heard the scrunched of snow inside the house. Whoever slipped inside their home was wearing boots. She heard his footsteps heading towards her and Jae had never felt so afraid in her life. A bullet of sweat ran down her forehead as she continued faking her sleep. Her fingers were slightly shaking but she hid them under the blanket.

A hot breath fanned her face and it took all of Jae's willpower not to cringe. She wanted to whimper and cry for help but she was afraid of what he would do to her. In the next second, a loud thump was heard and something crashed onto the floor. Ashe jumped awake from her arms and barked.

It was an alarming bark but it was surprisingly soft. Jae's eyes flew open as she sat up quicker than a flash of lightning. There were two figures in the dark. An unfamiliar unconscious body was sprawled on the floor. And Santa Claus was looking straight at her.

"Are you mad? Why the hell did you forget to lock the windows?" Santa Claus hissed.

Camilla Jae forgot her words. She wasn't dreaming. Santa's here again. Last year was not some crazy hallucination from lack of sleep. He's here. And he just saved her ass.