Chapter 3

Two days have passed since Sesshomaru and Shiemi had joined our class. Rin sits with Shiemi, Shippo is being a loner, so that makes me stuck with hot tempered Sesshomaru. He was still sore about the second mate thing, though he doesn't show it. I sighed as we slowly listened to the professor drone on about his lecture. At some point of the class, Rin fell asleep listening and from his face gestures he was having a good dream. Though I don't know what's going through that mind of his.
     "Okumura. Okumura. Okumura!" The teacher yelled the last time, startling Rin awake.
     "Sukiyaki." Rin shouted. Well I now knew what he was dreaming of.
     "Huh?" The teacher looked at Rin for a moment, confused before he quickly regained his composure. "If you don't intend to pay attention, feel free to leave any time." He scolded Rin.
     "Ah, yes sir. Sorry about that." Rin apologized as he wiped the drool from his face. Then he focused on his book.
     "Now then, in the Hebrew scriptures these books Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, ect. are known collectors pieces of rhetorical.(? I think this what the teacher said, couldn't hear) In Hebrew, this word means..."
     "Piss off." I heard the Inuyasha stand in, known as Suguro, shouted to Rin when he looked over his shoulder; completely cutting off my hearing of the teacher. Now that I wasn't focused anymore, I looked to see Rin scrutinizing Suguro and he must be having a pep talk in his head from the various shakes of the head as well as nod. I knew if he didn't pay attention soon, he was going to get scolded again.
     "Okumura!" The teacher yelled when he saw Rin drifting again.
     Called it. I sighed.
     Soon enough the next class was in session, Demonology. Rin was once again sleeping.
     "Can anyone tell me the lowest demon related to the demon of rot, Astaroth?" The teacher asked the class. I immediately put up my hand with the answer. He was going to call on me until he spotted Rin. "Okumura!"
     "Huh?" He yelped as he was startled awake. "I've never seen one of those." Rin try to state naturally while rubbing the back of his neck. He failed. The teacher sighed and looked to me.
     "Ms. Taisho?"
     "That would be Coal Tars sir." I inquired, putting down my hand.
     "That is correct. One of them is passing you right now." He stated to Rin directly. Rin eyes the small, round creature flying by him. Coal tars were small, round creatures that have two cat-like ears and four tiny spiked limbs on their underside and a cute long triangular pointed tip tail. They were demons that possess themselves to fungi, flacks of dust, or dirt. They love dark, dank places but they do however love people with dark natures. 
     Technically there was two types of Coal Tars. The fairly harmless type that flyers around with oval shaped green eyes and the slightly opened, downward curved mouths; which was present. The other ones however appeared more sinister  and had slanted violet eyes with evil smiles.
     Though they were at the bottom of the demon food chain, they did however outnumbered any other demonic species. They only ever become a threat when they band together. Breathing in these small creatures can cause one's lungs to rot, hence them being related to the demon of rot, Astaroth.
     It has been noted in the book that when enough band together, they move and form into a snake-like gestalt entities with a single smiling face. When they are in this state, they are known to be capable to overrun a city but to also devour larger and more threatening demons. A larger number than this can also form a Koks.
     The next class rolled in rather quickly, which was Grimoire Lit. The teacher was at the desk, telling his lecture.
     "Usually one can acquire powers of sorcery by making a contract with Satan. The study of its methodology and various uses are compiled in grimoires. Now grimoires have a long history. Early in the thirteenth century, a pamphlet of demonology was published by William, the bishop of El vernia. The grimoire you have is called the Lemingeton(I think this is how it's spelled), aka the..." the teacher was drowned out by Rin snoring. I sighed at his hopelessness.
     The next class happened to be Yukio's class, Anti-demon pharmaceuticals. He was holding a stack of papers which I can only assume was our test from yesterday.
     "Alright everyone, I'm going to hand back your quizzes now. Shima," Yukio called.
     "Coming." Shima shouted as he got to his feet and tracked up to Yukio.
     "You've missed a few so have a look and see if you understand them." Yukio explained to Shima.
     "You got it."
     "Kamiki."
     "Yes." Polkabrow got up to collect her paper.
     "Kagome." Yukio called. I figured he would use our first names since there are three Taisho's in this class.
     "Yes sir." I got to my feet and gracefully walked up to Yukio. I could feel everyone's eyes upon me, especially Sesshomaru and Rin.
     "Splendid. A perfect score. Keep up the good work." Yukio smiled at me.
     "Thanks teach." I smiled back and headed back to my seat. I sat down with everyone with their mouths hung open, shocked.
    "Shippo."
    "Aye." He made his way to Yukio, who looked a little surprised.
    "Not bad. I'm impressed."
    "I used to collect this with my mother all the time." He happily smiled and sneakily looked over his shoulder at me. I rolled my eyes but smiled at the little bugger. It was nice to see that all that hard work paid off.
     "Sesshomaru." Yukio called.
     "Hn." He went up to Yukio, who handed his paper to him.
     "A few were missed but keep up the good work."
     "Hn." He nodded and gracefully turned and took his seat back beside me. I glanced over to his paper and found it to be a 80. I nodded, impressed. It was worth giving him a two day crash course. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Shippo had a 88. He was actually studying without my supervision.
     "Why do you have that sparkly look in your eyes?" Rin asked Shiemi.
     "Cuz I know I did well on the quiz."
     "Oh right, your family are all pharmacists."
     "Um hm." Shiemi smiled. "We specialize in that stuff. This is one thing I know I'm good at."
     "Moriyama." Yukio called.
     "Ah yes." She shouted as she walked up to Yukio. Yukio had a stern look upon his face and he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, not a good sign.
     "What do you mean by Mr. Sancho?" Yukio asked, making Shiemi nervous.
     "You peel the leaves and apply it to burns." She stated.
     "So you're referring to Aloe. And what is Mr. Homeisland?" Yukio questioned without even opening his eyes. It made you wonder if he memorised hers.
     "A yellow powder used as an antiseptic."
     "Oh, you mean Turmeric." Yukio softly smiled as he opened his eyes and handed her the paper. From what I could see, she was shivering when looking at the paper. I take it, it was a bad test score. "I don't mind of you assign your own names to plants but in the future please be sure to use their proper names."
    Rin laughed. "You thought you had it nailed." He teased Shiemi.
    "Okumura!" Yukio called, a little harshly. I wouldn't blame him for doing that. I would have too.
     "Ah." He stood and went up to collect his paper. Yukio looked extremely disappointed.
     "You're giving me an ulcer." He hissed.
     "Sorry teach."
     "Suguro!" Yukio called him next while Rin stared at his paper and rub the back of his neck.
     "Yes sir." He stood and went to Yukio as Rin walked back to his seat. "I couldn't get a two even if I tried."
     "Huh?" Rin stopped and looked to Suguro.
     "It's 'cause you keep flirting with that girl." He spat, indicating to Shiemi. My hand underneath the desk clenched at his little remark. "Jackass."
     "Huh?" Rin evilly glared at him. "Oh yeah rooster boy, what make you think you'll do any better." Rin hissed as Yukio gave Suguro his paper.
     "All your hard work finally paid off Suguro." Yukio praised.
     "Um hm." Suguro smirked and held out his paper to show Rin his test score. It had a 98 on it. Rin flinched and made almost a choking sound.
     "What the hell? Seriously?" He walked closer and crumpled his paper. "How can a punk rock reject like you get a 98?"
     "What you'd say? Listen you loser, I came to this school because I was serious about becoming an exorcist." Suguro yelled at Rin, looking ready to fight while Yukio nodded. "And everyone here is studying hard because they want to become exorcists too." He shouted, making Shiemi flinch. It seemed that she just want to come to school, not for the occupation. "You're not serious about it, so drop out. Get lost."
     Rin glared at him evilly. "Hey, who the hell do you think you are to tell me to get lost? Believe it or not, I'm here to become an exorcist too."
     "Oh yeah! By studying between his naps." Suguro sneered and got into Rin's face. My temper was flaring, making my reiki slowly leak out. If he didn't stop bashing my mate, I was going to let loose.
     "Bon." Miwa exclaimed as he got ahold of Suguro. "Take it easy."
     "Come on Bon, we're in class." Shima said as he and Miwa pulled Suguro away from Rin. Yukio held back his brother.
     "Maybe you'd do better if you paid attention in class." Suguro pointed an accusing finger at Rin.
     "I learn better out in the field. It's hard for me to sit around all day memorizing stuff." Rin shouted back.
     "You've got the right idea Suguro." Yukio smiled as he held back Rin. "Go ahead tell him off some more."
     Rin glared at his brother with shock and anger as he pushed him off. "Who's side are you on huh?"
     "You want to take a quiz and find out?" Yukio warned. Before I could do anything, the bell rang signaling that class was over. "As if on cue. That's all for today class."
     After Yukio handed out the rest of the papers to the class, everyone filed out the classroom. I went to the courtyard to help cool my head off. It felt like I was going through the new mate process all over again and I was still going through it with Sesshomaru. I just know if I'm not careful I would be hurting someone. I sighed and plopped myself down on the fountain. Sesshomaru beside me while Shippo went behind me. Rin, Yukio and Shiemi came out next. Rin jumped up behind me, sitting behind me and next to Shippo. Shiemi sat on the other side of me while Yukio sat beside her.
     "Hey Shiemi, how you settling in?" I asked sweetly, hoping the obnoxious boys would leave me be.
     "Iffy." Shiemi whispered and shrugged. "Though I am surprised with your knowledge. Getting perfect scores in almost everything."
     "Yeah, everything but scriptures. Don't know how to absorb that but somehow I manage to perfect that too. It's horrifying." I shuddered. Shiemi giggled next to me, shaking her head. My smile went wider.
     "What's up with that guy? Is he really that smart?" Rin mumbled.
     "Oh, you mean Suguro? He's a prodigy." Yukio told his brother but then looked at me. "But it seems that Kagome far exceeded anyone's expectations." He praised me, making me blush.
     "Thanks." I cleared my throat.
     "He's attending the academy on a scholarship like I am." Yukio continued to tell his brother. "I heard he is the heir to an honorable and historical temple in Kyoto."
     "Figures. He's just some rich kid." Rin leaned back and lightly swung his legs back and forth.
     "He's an exceptional student, an accomplished athlete and he pays attention during class. Truth is that he works way harder than you Rin." Yukio glanced up at his brother. "Maybe you can clone his mind. You could learn a lesson or two from him."
     "Mind cloning?" He thought for a moment before looking away. "Whatever. I'm not that stupid."
     "Well anyway," Yukio turned to Shiemi "how are you doing? You've gotten used to school yet?"
     "Uh, not really, no." She admitted to Yukio.
     "If you ask me, you have gotten a lot more confident than you were before. You are like a whole different person now. Just take it easy and just do your best." Yukio smiled at her.
     "Okay." Shiemi smiled back. "Thank you for the tip Yuki."
     "Well I better go, I have another class to teach." Yukio hopped off the fountain. "Good luck with the rest of your day. Have fun and don't be late to your p.e. class."
     "Okay see ya later." Shiemi waved him off.
      Once Yukio was out of sight, I sighed and relaxed for a bit. I saw that Rin wanted to talk to Shiemi. I turned a bit and leaned back.
     "You know, if you don't open your mouth, you wont be able to make friends." I teased.
     "But it's his mouth that gets him in trouble." Shippo snickered, earning him a punch to the shoulder by Rin. Shippo stuck his tongue out and shrugged.
     "So which class are you in again?" Rin started a conversation with Shiemi.
     "Huh?" She turned her attention onto Rin.
     "Not the cram school, the regular school." Rin inquired.
     She shook her head no. "I only asked if I could get into the cram achool."
     "What about high school?" Rin asked.
     "I'm too shy to handle that. I barely went to my classes in junior high."
     "Yeah, I hardly went to junior high either. You could say I had a hard time fitting in." Rin nervously laughed.
     "I barely managed to pass junior high, let alone high school. So I know how you guys feel." I leaned on Sesshomaru's shoulder while looking at the two.
     "You've completed school." Rin looked astonished.
     "Yeah. So Sesshomaru, Shippo and I are only attending cram school." I looked to Shiemi. She blushed and fiddled with her bag. I softly smiled at her cute behavior and with her wearing a kimono like this, she reminded me of Sango.
     "Hey guys, be honest," Shiemi paused "I really don't belong in this cram school do I?"
     "Huh? Why?" Rin, Shippo and I said in unison.
     "Because I really don't want to become an exorcist like everyone else. I'll have to be as smart as Suguro or Kagome and I know I'll never be." Shiemi confessed.
     "Sure, I guess it's cool having a big brain like that and all." Rin paused and looked away from Shiemi. "But you're okay the way you are. The world needs all kinds of people anyway."
     "Do you guys have any friends?" Shiemi asked.
     "We'll we three," I pointed to myself , Shippo and Sesshomaru "are all family. So I guess you can say Yukio and Rin are my friends." I explained to Shiemi. Shippo nodded as well whereas Sesshomaru kept quiet, like usual. "Would you like to be our friend?"
     "Yes!" She exclaimed.
     "Good." I smiled.
     "Rin, do you have any friends?" Shiemi looked to Rin.
     "Huh?" Rin was confused. Suddenly Shiemi turned, got to her feet, walked up to my mate and held his hand. He was squirming underneath her hold.
     "Um...Listen I...Rin will you...?" Shiemi was cut of by Suguro. Rin flinched hearing his voice.
     "Well, well. Look at these two love birds making out." Suguro taunted as him and his small entourage came over to the fountain. They all wore the same track suit, which kind of freaked me out. My rage skyrocketed and in the corner of my eye, I could see Rin's body shaking in anger.
     "Er, we are not making out." Rin violently turned and shouted at them.
     "She is your girlfriend isn't she?" Suguro smirked. "Getting the most elite school for exorcists, you must be a big shot."
     "You've got the wrong idea about this man." Rin growled.
     "So what are you saying? You guys just friends huh?" Suguro looked towards me and winked at me, flirtatiously. My eyes narrowed at the asshole. He is trying to make me think he is a badass.
     "What are you kidding me?" Rin's voice lowered a bit. My eyes widened as I realized what he was about to say.
     Rin don't say it. Don't open your big mouth after you worked so hard to get her friendship. I hissed at him in my thoughts.
     "No." He answered. I closed my eyes as I could almost physically hear Shiemi's heart shatter. I looked to the poor girl, who had her head hung low. She was embarrassed. Shippo looked to her as well, sympathy swirling in his eyes.
     "And his mouth got him in trouble again." Shippo sighed.
     "Yeah," Suguro had a smug smirk upon his face "ha ho, sure, yeah I bet she isn't."
     "That son of a..." Rin clenched his fist in anger "What's up with you, huh? You're always with your crew." Rin snapped, wiping the smug look off of Suguro's face. "What's the matter? You afraid of being alone?"
     Suguro was angry but silence lingered through the grounds.
     "Pft...hahaha." Shima laughed wholeheartedly
     "What's so funny Shima?" Suguro yelled, turning on the poor guy.
     "He's right. We're always together." Shima pointed up to Rin.
     "Hey man, don't take his side." Suguro huffed and turned his angry expression back on Rin. The two shared their angry expressions and the air grew tense. There was almost electricity running in between them. It was almost like a tiger and a dragon was going at each other.
     I helped Shiemi down and our little group walked over to Suguro's. We watched them bicker at each other.
     "This guy is pissing me off." "This guy is annoying." They said to each other at the same time.
     "Now that you think about it, they're kind of the same." Shima pointed out.
     "They're so alike, they compel each other." Miwa stated, which Shippo and I nodded at this.
     "Not that this is fun but we should get ready for class." Sesshomaru told us.
     "Right." I smiled, then turned to Shiemi. "Come on girl, let's go."
     "But what about...?" She looked to the bickering two once more.
     "Ah leave them be. Their ego is too high to listen to any reason." I teased while pulling on her arm. I looked to Miwa and Shima. "See ya in class." I smiled and left with Shiemi. I could tell that Sesshomaru and Shippo were glaring at the two boys by the way they stayed back for a moment.