CHAPTER 23: BREAK A LEG

Y/N: Oh my god! Oh god! Holy moly! Holy crap! Oh boy!  Holy crap!

I feel butterflies in my stomach, the show's about to begin. The actors are getting ready.  Oh God I can't do this.

Y/N: This is bad.  This is awful!  Oh God why?

Legoshi crosses by my side while carrying some decorations.  He notices my panic.

Legoshi: Why are you nervous?  You'll be behind the curtains, nobody will see you play.

My mind's racing a mile a minute, and my heart's pounding out of my chest. I'm so nervous that I speak incredibly fast.

Y/N: Yes, but they'll listen to me!  I've never played in front of so many people!  Not even at the audition!  Tickets are sold out Legoshi, SOLD OUT!  Many people will listen to me!  Wh-what if I make a mistake?  I'll just make a fool of myself!

Legoshi's surprised by my stress and takes a step back.  I need to calm down.  He thinks of something he could say to make me feel better. Before he could speak Louis appears.

Louis: I'll take care of this Legoshi, go finish your work.

Legoshi, not knowing how to help, nods and arranges the decorations he holds.

Legoshi: Good luck.

The gray wolf leaves, leaving me with Louis alone. Oh no, He's gonna scold me right?

Y/N: Louis, I-I'm sorry, I'm trying to calm down but- ..

Louis: You have to breathe Y/N.

I try to do it, I try to breathe but I do it very fast.  WHY DO I JOIN THE DRAMA CLUB IF I'VE GOT STAGE FEAR!!  Oh but I'm not even going to be on stage!  I breathe again and again. I do it so quickly I feel I'm hyperventilating.

Louis holds me tight by the hands, causing me to snap out of it and make eye contact.

He inhales as he sees me, as a sign to imitate him. I see him and imitate his actions.  We both breathe deeply.  Until it makes me feel calmer.

Louis: Now listen to me.  You are gifted.  You're here for a reason.  When you play the violin, you forget your fears.  So leave that vulnerability behavior.  You're a wolf, use that to your advantage.

I think on what he said, I look him in the eye and I nod. Louis places his hand on my shoulder and walks towards the group.

Y/N: Hey Louis!

He turns to look at me.

Y/N: Thanks .. f-for everything.

Louis gives me a fleeting smile. I admit ... I like his smile.

Louis: Thanks to you.

He turns to walk again, but I decide to wish him luck before anything else.

Y/N: ..Break a leg!

Louis shudders, and turns to look at me flustered.

Louis: What?

Y/N: Uh .. break a leg?  It's an expression used in theater ... isn't it?

He seems to progress what I told him. Then he nods and goes with the group at last.

He calls the group and prepares to give a final speech before beginning.

Louis: Beyond those curtains, new students who have never experienced our performance before, are eagerly waiting with great expectations.

Is he referring to the newcomers?  I would probably be there with them and not here if I were at first year, but I'm not. As I'm the only second year student, I'm an exception.

Louis: Don't worry. Do it like you always do it. Our last rehearsal went quite well.

I take a deep breath again, just to make sure I won't have another panic attack.

Louis: Despite the incident, the solidarity of this club remains quite strong.

I suppose what he says is true.  I turn to see Legoshi, who's listening carefully.

Louis: This club is very special. On stage we can portray, all species, each of us working together as one unit. Right?

Louis stands still waiting for the group's response. We all give an answer in unison. Yes.

Louis: Alright.  Now everyone get ready, there is a play to be done.

Everyone gets ready and take their places.  Louis approaches me one last time.

Louis: Can I count on you?

I'm still nervous, but I can't fail him.

Y/N: You can count on me.

....

The famous play, Adler, begins and I play together with the orchestra.  Everything's going according to how it's planned.  Louis moves the audience with his acting, I play the violin with passion and Legoshi is in charge of lighting.  Everything's going well, the tickets they've paid will have been worth it, and the money collected will help me.

The play continues successfully. Louis performance was fierce, his body shook as he breathed. The  audience was captivated by this grim reaper hero, his radiance never seized until they reach the end of the performance.

Louis: Ellen.. You have bid farewell to this world?

When Louis says his last words, the play ends.  Along with a huge ovation of applause and cries of admiration.  The play was a success and everything went well.

The curtain closes slowly.  I feel a relief that it's over.  One less, now it only remains to finish tomorrow's play.  I watch the audience until it's finally covered by the curtain.

Thud.

Peace of mind is over as soon as I hear a sharp thud hit the ground.  I, among other people, see that Louis collapsed.

Y/N: Louis?!

What happend to him?!  He was fine a few seconds ago.  People shout his name and approach to see what happened. Louis is unconscious. 

Something tells me that he was worse than I thought.