Chapter 13: Setting Boundaries

As I sped into the hospitals parking lot my eyes passed over numerous cars for an empty space

As I sped into the hospitals parking lot my eyes passed over numerous cars for an empty space. Not knowing where the hell to even go, I took my chances parking near the emergency entrance.

Pulling my key from the ignition, I took a deep breath as my nerves reminded me of the many times I've had to control them.

My dad always said spazzing out never cured the intensity of a situation. So as I ventured through the dim lit parking lot, I ducked my head to the cameras as I went up to the hospitals front desk.

"Hi, I'm looking for Cory Queben. He was admitted not too long along  ago with a shot wound." My fingers began to tap on the countertop as the receptionist began to look.

"Uhm yes, he was just pulled from surgery. Room number 324. Do you need-" My mind began to zone out as I saw Xavier, Nicole, and Tyrone pass by.

"No, no. Thank you." I rushed as I headed to the opposite side.

Seeing that they were making their way out, my body pushed me towards the vending machines to hear the tail end of their conversation.

"So where is he?" Nico' whispered.

"We don't know." Xavier shook as his phone went back up to his ear.

"Cory might as well be dead and neither of them are to be found." She huffed.

"Would you stop over exaggerating." Tyrone pressed as he rubbed his forehead.

"Take her home, we need to get to the safe house." Xavier was the first to exit through the sliding doors and I took that as my cue to head up to the third floor.

Feeling myself become more and more impatient, I began to tap my phone against my hand as I waited for the elevator to open.

Hearing the ding, I entered making my way up. "Wait! Hold it!" A young nurse rushed in as the doors were closing.

"Whew! Almost didn't make it." She smiled as I pressed the floor number. "Oh good we're going to the same floor." She began to break the ice and I huffed wishing elevators weren't so slow. "Are you visiting a family member?"

I looked around knowing good and well it was only the two of us.

"Yeah." I finally mouthed looking towards the numbers glowing at the top.

"I hope-" My mind trailed off into prayer hoping the elevator wouldn't stop anywhere else.

"What?" I snapped myself out of it.

"Whomever it is you're going to see, I hope they're okay." I blankly smiled as the elevator opened up.

"Yeah, me too." I huffed turning down the hallway.

As I searched for Cory's room number, my peripheral vision went to the nurse closely behind.

Trying not to assume she was following, I kept steady at my pace remembering to keep my head down.