Chapter 3: On My Own

"Ight lil man you ready?" I yelled over the loud engine

"Goo already!!" Travis shouted.

"Hold onn!!" I yelled as I depressed the clutch into the next gear. Creating a loud screech, I stomped the accelerator leaving a pile of smoke behind.

Speeding through the on-going traffic, I drifted around corners as lingering cars honked and smashed down on their breaks.

Knowing the time I could serve for drifting on local streets, I did it anyway for the hell of it. Getting into trouble was the least of my worries.

"Watch out Deshia!" Travis called out as I ran a red light.

Nearly hitting an incoming Sedan, I laughed veering to the right; practically riding the sidewalk of a strip center. The shop was less than a block away and once I recognized the outdated sign, I cut right casually pulling into the nearest garage.

"Yoo, that was soo freaking cool D!" Travis slammed the passenger door jumping up and down. "Can we go again?!"

Loving his enthusiasm, I pulled him into a side hug as we reached the front of the car. "If your brother found out I took you for a joyride in the Cougar and let you skip, he would kill me." I walked over to the safe hanging up the keys.

"Kill you?" He countered. "He's my brother. I might not make it to fifteen if he found out."

I chuckled. "And that's why it stays between us. Got it?" I held out my fist.

"Sure thing." Travis pumped his against mine.

"So what are we doing for the rest of the day?" He asked spinning in a rolly chair.

"Ugh." I glimpsed around the shop. "I guess you can help me with this transmission. I gotta have it done by tomorrow."

"Ight, cool. Be back in a sec." He rushed to the back of the shop.

Once I rolled over the toolbox to the black Camero parked on the other side of the garage, I tied my braids into a high pony-tail and buttoned the rest of my jumpsuit. Throwing a towel over my left shoulder, I then grabbed the creeper next to a truck and settled on my back.

"Deshia, did you check the electronics first?" I heard Travis' feet in front of the car.

"I did yesterday. There were no problems, but I need you to turn on the car to check the fluids."

"Ight cool. What's the key number?" He shouted across the garage.

"Thirty-five!" I yelled back. Once Travis unlocked the car and started the engine, I heard the hood pop and him groan in frustration as he checked the fluids.

For a freshman in high school, Travis was pretty tall. Slim in his build with deep-dark curly hair, though looked nothing like his half brother. He carried flimsy arms that nearly fell to his knees and transitioning eyes that matched his positive energy.