Chapter 18: Trust Without A Doubt

When I woke, I found myself in the comfort of my own sheets

When I woke, I found myself in the comfort of my own sheets. With the sun beaming I looked around noticing that I was in my childhood room.

Revealing my hands, I had to question if I was even alive.

Is this real? Hell am I even real?

I began to wiggle my feet and other limbs.

Fuck. Was this what heaven felt like or just a figment of my imagination?

"Deshia!" A knock sounded at my room door.

"Mom?" I called out.

"C'mon sweetie or you're going to be late." I jolted from my sheets opening up the door. Revealing the face I'd yearned for so long to see again — I crashed into her chest.

"Ma." I began to cry.

"Ohh my baby." She rubbed along my head kissing my cheek. "What's wrong?" I continued sobbing into her. "Ohh this bet not be a new way to get out of going to school." We both laughed as I cleared up my face.

"No, I just love you. I love you so much." I continued to wipe my tears as she curled her palms around my face.

"Ohh I love you." She looked deep into my eyes. "Always." She ushered me into my room. "Now tell me what's gotten into you?" I found myself getting all choked up again.

"It's just-" I collected myself for a moment. "It's just you're not here."

"What do you mean? I'm right here." She grabbed hold of my hands interlocking our fingers.

"No I mean - this, you, us, this moment." My tears continued to trail down my face.

"Well, if this isn't real then-"

"You died." I said in a hushed tone. "And I think I'm dying too." I reasoned knowing the condition I was in before losing consciousness.

"What happened mija?"

"I was beaten up pretty badly. Some  fools trying to take ownership of the shop." I started to remember the pain I had experienced the last few weeks. "I haven't been much of myself since you've been gone." I finally found the courage to say.

"If I'm not there with you then what about your father?" I began to cry even more.

"You left together." I finally let out. "You were killed and I'm sorry I couldn't save you." I continued to sob.

"Ohh mija." My mother pulled me into her chest making circles on my back.

"Whatever happened to us -- know that it's not your fault." She whispered kissing the tops of my head. "Ohh my sweet Merciful. You are always so strong. Even as a baby." She laughed to herself.