55| Kodak Moments

Start from the beginning

Deciding it was better to change the subject, I looked up at Jaime and asked, "How's your mom?" 

Jaime perked up which was a good sign. "She's doing well. Her energy is up. She's moving around more. She's also really excited about the baby. She said she wants to babysit once she's better."

I laughed at that. I really loved Cherise. "That sounds good to me," I said happily. "I'll probably need a little time to relax once the baby comes. Ayden and I have no idea what we're doing." 

"I'm sure you guys will be fine. Besides, all first time parents feel that way. Just keep reading your pregnancy books." 

"Books can only prepare you so much, Jaime. Once the baby is here, it's going to be completely different."

"Even so," she added, "you have all of us to help. So, stop stressing and try to enjoy your pregnancy." She glanced to Nate before she looked back at me. "Lanie, I know how hard it is when someone you love is hurting. I know that fear of losing them forever. Don't let that take the joy out of having this baby." She was quiet for a moment before she added. "How about this-- tomorrow, don't come to the hospital."

"What!" 

She held her hand up at me. "Just listen. Don't come here. If something changes, we will call you. Try to rest and have a day to yourself. Spend some time with Harper, or Ayden. Watch some movies."

It rubbed me the wrong way to be away from Nate. But she was right. This might be good for me. I studied Nate's sleeping form before I looked back to Jaime. "Okay, Jaime. I'll do it." 

"Taste this," I said to Ayden as I held out the spoon with some spaghetti sauce on it

"Taste this," I said to Ayden as I held out the spoon with some spaghetti sauce on it. I told him once before that spaghetti was my favorite food, so I decided to make some tonight for both of us.

Even though he was able to walk with crutches, he liked using the wheelchair whenever possible to keep the extra pressure off of his leg. He rolled over towards me from the dining room table and gave me a heated look.

"Maybe you should sit on my lap. You know, so I can reach it better."

I arched a brow as I perched myself on his lap. "Open wide," I whispered.

He held eye contact with me as I guided the spoon into his mouth so he could taste the sauce. His eyes slid shut as swallowed. When he looked back at me, he leaned forward and whispered against my lips, "Delicious."

He closed the small distance between us and kissed me softly. It was sweet and tender. He wrapped his arms around my body to pull me closer.  The taste of the basil seasoned sauce was rich in his mouth as he deepened the kiss.

Just as I felt his hand slide up my thigh and under the dress I was wearing, the timer on the stove went off. He groaned with frustration as I pulled away from him.

I laughed and got to my feet. "I'm sorry, Ayden, I don't want the noodles to overcook."

"We should have ordered food," he said from the dining room table. He must have went back over there when I came over to the stove. "I don't like you on your feet."

After I made sure the noodles were ready, I turned the burners off on the stove before I mixed a little more seasoning into the sauce.

"I'm fine, Ayden. Besides, I haven't had this much energy in weeks. I'm going to enjoy it."

I turned to face him and he was holding up his camera. I barely had time to smile before I heard him snap the picture. I glanced away from him shyly; knowing good and well he was still shooting. Over the past few days, he couldn't seem to stop taking pictures of me. He usually said they were to for Nate or to document the pregnancy. He was definitely one for Kodak moments.

Then when he took a few pictures of me in some of my not so decent lingerie, he whispered in my ear that those were for his eyes only. Ever since we got out of the hospital, hell-- even in the hospital, he was always touching me in some way or another. Holding my hand, or playing with my hair. It was like he couldn't get enough of me. And I loved it.

Honestly, I felt the same way about him. Every night when we went to bed, I always fell asleep either on his chest, or with him laying behind me holding me close.

I made us both a plate of food and got some drinks from the fridge before I joined him at the dining room table. I handed him his medicine and he made his usual disgusted face.

"Goddess, you know I hate medicine."

"I know. You tell me that every time you take it." When he continued to glare at the medicine, an idea came to mind. "If you take your medicine and eat all your food, there might be something in it for you."

His eyes flicked up to mine. That definitely got his attention. "A surprise?"

I remembered how much he enjoyed the last surprise I gave him. "Mhm."

"Only if you tell me what it is first," he said with a cocky grin. "I can't handle the anticipation."

I laughed before I got up and walked to his side of the table. I leaned forward and rested my hands on the arms of his wheelchair.

"Maybe after dinner, if you're a good boy, I'll give you a sponge bath."

His face scrunched up at the idea. "Sponge baths aren't sexy, Lanie."

I ran my finger down his shirtless chest until I got to the waistband of his pants. I put my mouth to his ear and whispered, "They are when I do it." I nipped at his ear and pulled my mouth to his for a quick, hard kiss.

"Deal."