"polaroids"

"MY MOM USED TO HIDE IT FROM ME," Santana grabbed the compass out of John's hands, inspecting it, "She'd disappear for a while, come home with it and leave again

"MY MOM USED TO HIDE IT FROM ME," Santana grabbed the compass out of John's hands, inspecting it, "She'd disappear for a while, come home with it and leave again. Like clockwork."

"That can't be right," John B stood up, "My dad never let anyone touch this."

"So our parents magically had duplicates of eachother's compasses?" Santana squinted her eyes

"Could be possible," Pope chimed in

"This is gonna get so messy," Kie blankly added

"Well it's not because that's the exact compass," Santana rolled her eyes, "Wait- Routledge... What was your dad's name?"

"John?" John B furrowed his brows as Santana's brain clicked

"Don't do anymore investigating till I get back, please," Santana nodded as she grabbed her bag, "I need to go check something."

"Where are you going?" JJ grabbed Santana's arm before she could run off

"Can you come help me?" She asked, as the two locked eyes

[][][]

"THE ROOM'S BEEN LOCKED SINCE I GOT HERE," Santana explained to JJ as the two walked back into her home and Selah was no where to be found

"Okay well let's bust it open and see what Selah's trying to hide," JJ agreed as the two walked down the hallway, to the one room Santana had never been in; even as a child when she rarely vacationed in outer banks.

"Never say bust it open like that ever again," Santana laughed, "Never."

After seeing the compass, Santana knew that the supposed 'wild goose chase' wasn't just that - it had something to do with John B's dad. The two, after leaving, also figured out that Santana's mom had officially gone missing around the same time as John B's dad, and to what they assumed - for the same reason.

"Go look around the house for a key," Santana told JJ as the two started opening random drawers and cupboards

"Can you try and explain this whole thing to me one more time?" JJ scratched his head, "You've sort of been speed talking like crazy the whole way here."

"Mom grew up in outer banks, met my dad on a vacation and moved to South LA when they got together," Santana began, "Every summer since I can remember, mom always left -
and ever since i could actually comprehend it, we all assumed she was cheating on my dad with some childhood friend."

"That guy being?"

"All i ever got was initials from notes and letter's she'd kept, which happened to be JR-"

"John Routledge," JJ's eyes went wide, "Holy shit! We're in our own telenovela."

"If this were a telenovela, our parents would magically reappear and I'd somehow be John B's sister," Santana laughed but JJ continued gawking

"But like what if you two are siblings?"

"Highly doubt it," I shrugged, "We're practically the same age and my mom didn't give birth to twins."

"This is so cool!" JJ squealed as he kept shuffling through drawers, "So you're mom came back here all the time? Wouldn't we have known her?"

"That's what's tripping me out," Santana scratched her head, "Like where would she have stayed? Wouldn't John B have seen her?"

"What if she was on some like serious pentagon shit?" JJ laughed, "Turns out your mom's in the FBI."

"Well if we can break into this office, maybe we can get some answers."

JJ had searched a little more, and eventually saw another key laying in Selah's room on her nightstand. Not exactly subtle.

"Thankyou for asking me to help," JJ mumbled, "I'm glad you did."

"I happen to trust you," She nodded as the two met with eachother in the halls once again

"If you ever wanna talk about it or, or-" JJ began rambling like he never had before, for once he was stumped on how to talk to a girl.

"You're so cute when you get awkward."

"Me? Awkward? You've got the wrong guy Diaz-"

Santana grinned as she suddenly planted a kiss on JJ's lips, interrupting his nerves.

Gladly, JJ kissed back but the two reluctantly pulled away knowing they were on a slight time crunch

"That is the nicest way anybody has ever told me to shut up," JJ proudly nodded, trying to shake his smile

"Guess I'll do that more often then."

"I don't know if I should be offended because you're tryna shut me up though," JJ smirked as he leaned in for one more kiss - and she did kiss back, but playfully pulled away.

"Oh, I found the key by the way," JJ winked at her as she blushed.

"I wanna finish our other conversation a little later though," Santana joked as JJ, still smiling, led the way to the door

"Yes!" JJ whispered to himself, punching the air - Santana almost caught it.

JJ peered inside the room but the two couldn't really see anything at first.

"It's a bit dark," JJ scrunched his face up as the two looked around for the light switch.

"I wonder why?" Santana sarcastically replied

After turning on, the two could already tell the room had been wiped. It was empty, beside the shell of a desk and an empty cupboard.

"Either somebody knew we were coming or Selah really didn't want anyone to see what was in this room," JJ pouted as Santana held her head

"there has to be something in here," Santana tried to reassure herself, tearing up in the slightest, "It wouldn't be locked-"

"We can still look," JJ frowned at her, wrapping her into a hug, "mucho misterio!"

Santana couldn't help but laugh at his attempt at Spanish. He was just too sweet.

"It's not worth it," Santana sighed, as she pulled the polaroid out her pocket she'd grabbed from her room moments before, "But I did find this when I moved in... it didn't make much sense then but-"

"A polaroid?"

"Anyone in the photo look familiar?"

"Well if it isn't Big John... hold up - Is that your mom?" JJ asked, as Santana nodded, "wait what's her name?"

"Marisol."

[][][]

i hope this wasn't confusing! if u have any questions - just comment. the next few chapters will explain some more 🥰

i'm sooo sorry if it was boring too :(

buttt it's boutta get messyyyyy 🍵

jj & santana had their first kiss thooo 👀