"nasty scratch"

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED UP THERE?" John B pulled JJ onto their lifeboat, Sarah uncontrollably crying in the back while Pope and Kie had their head in there hands

Pope however had to muster the courage to start the boat, noticing Ward's boat men had started peering over the side with their guns once more. They made their escape, all while Sarah couldn't get a consistent breath out; her hands shaking as she reached out to JJ, "Why isn't she here?"

JJ himself was a wreck, to say the least. His face was still red, tense and veins were still pulsing through his forehead.

"I saw her fall back," Sarah stated, "W-why did she fall back?"

"You heard the shot," JJ growled back at her, his fists still clenched, "Rafe... h-he shot her."

He thought he could've finished his sentence without breaking down completely, but the lump in his throat was too much. He looked up at John B, "I felt her fading away in my arms. I-I don't know that she's okay. I need to fucking know she's okay and I can't! I fucking cant!"

"JJ-" John B pulled JJ in for a hug, holding him to his shoulder, "I don't know what to do, man. Please, just tell me what you want me to do."

"We gotta go, Ward's gonna send his goons out for us," JJ cried that bit harder, "She wouldn't have made it John B. I couldn't take her."

"It's gonna be okay," John B said in attempt to comfort JJ, though the Pogues grew tense. Sarah however had tried to pause her tears, "How could you leave her there?"

"She was bleeding out Sarah!" JJ's rage took over, yelling, "I had to hold her, watch her bleed out until one of those dodgy boat doctors came! I had no choice!"

"Y-You did! You did... you should've...," Sarah stumbled over her words. She couldn't quite place her feelings into a sentence. JJ barked back, "I should've what? Killed her trying to get her off the boat?"

"I don't know!" Sarah screamed back, "I just - She... We can't leave her there!"

"We'll find her," Kie softly spoke from the middle of the boat. Everyone glanced at her, "All we can do is hope she's in... safe-ish hands, we just need to find land and we can figure this shit out."

"It's not fair Kie," Sarah crawled into the deepest corner of the boat, wiping the tears from her swollen eyes as they made their escape.

——
a day later,

"SOBRINA," Was the first word Santana heard when her eyes finally opened. She clutched the bedsheets beside her, noticing she was now in a room. Santana jolted upward, curling up when faced with Selah, "No-"

"Shhhh!" Selah put her finger in front of her mouth, "Nobody knows I'm with you right now."

"That isn't comforting," Her recycled tears had arisen from the incident before, and she trailed her hand down to the gunshot wound. It definitely wasn't a dream.

"Got a nasty scratch," Selah teased, though Santana tried to push her away — she groaned when trying to lift her arms, still half asleep and in pain.

"I wouldn't exactly call this a scratch," Santana peered down her torso, lifting her shirt a little as she sniffled, "I'm not in the mood Selah."

Selah sighed, looking over at the wound, "The doctor said you should be up on your feet by the time we hit port."

"You know? I've never been shot in the torso before," Santana leant back, "I have however been treated by a shitty doctor."

"Ricardo from the bodega by 1st street isn't even a doctor," Selah let out a small laugh, "I remember that last time I visited before shit went south, I picked you up from the station. You were tagging shit right?"

Santana furrowed her brows, "Cut the shit, what do you want?"

"I'm smart enough to know that when someone betrays you once, you won't trust them ever again," Selah nodded, "But that doesn't mean I know I haven't fucked up with you. I got what I wanted, I'm done now."

"Doubtful."

"Like I said, I'm getting my cut of gold now," Selah shrugged, "So I'll help you out. You still wanna get off this boat right?"

Santana gulped, "At least you know I'd rather be anywhere than here."

"I was hoping you'd still say that," Selah shuffled a little closer to Santana, "Except, I help you... you help me a little."

"There's always a catch with you."

"Only a little one of course," Selah leaned over, "Look, when you get your way back to the OBX and live this amazing new life, let's keep my name out of it."

"I won't need to, they'll find you on this island with Ward. I'll give the cops anything they need," Santana insisted, "Even if it'll get me in trouble."

Selah threw her arms up, "Hey, I never said I agreed with your whole 'I'm gonna cooperate with the cops' switch but that's your deal San. I plan on taking my gold and dipping, by that time I would hope you'd have steered the cops to Ward."

"That sounds promising."

"And I promise that's all," Selah affirmed, "I'm sure you wanted Ward to go down for this, no?"

"Better question," Santana managed to sit up, "You should really ask how much I would want you to go down for this."

Selah smiled in her face, "It's a pity, I know there's someone possibly waiting out on the next port ready to whisk you away. But I also know they can't leave without my say."

"— pick your poison Santana."