Chapter Fifty-Four: Death

Queen Victoria of Cambridge

January 10th, 1520

I stood beside Henry as we looked over more presents that had been sent to celebrate both Edward's birthday and Albert's birth. In seven months Albert will be officially introduced as the Duke of York.

For some reason, the Tudors needed to wait nine months for the second son. I did not understand but who was I to question it.

Nine days ago we had rung in the New Year and soon after a horrible fever swept the countryside where Anne Boylen and her family resided.

Charles had sent for Mary to come back from the countryside so he may protect her. I had also sent to my parents so that they would not get sick.

Five days ago a message had come saying Anne Boylen had the fever and someone recovered. It was now being said that small and precious Lady Isabella Boylen had contracted the fever and no one knew if she would survive or not.

"So many presents," I whispered and Henry smiled.

"That is good. It means people accept you as my rightful Queen and wife. And they accept our children." He said before the door was thrown open and we turned to see Charles running in.

"Charles, you better explain yourself," Henry growled and Charles bowed his head.

"I apologize, Your Majesty. But I regret to inform you that Lady Isabella Boylen has passed away as of an hour ago in the physician wing. Lady Anne and her family are requesting you to be there with them." Charles said and I felt myself gasp and my eyes well up.

"Henry," I whispered as I turned to her and saw the same look he had when Catherine lost their final child.

"The child was only one year of age. Her mother survived and yet she did not." Henry said and Charles nodded as he lowered his head.

"Lady Anne is asking for you to come to the hospital wing to say your goodbyes to Lady Isabella before they take her away." He explained and I watched Henry for a moment before I stood up and nodded.

"Tell them we are coming. Have the flags hung at half-mast." I explained and Charles bowed his head. I walked over to Henry and grasped his hand in mine and smiled.

"Whether she is your daughter or not. You have claimed her as your own. She has died due to the fever and we have to go and pay our respect." I explained and Henry stared at me.

"I do not believe she is mine."

'I know but our court has known her as your daughter. We must Henry." I explained and Henry nodded before he fixed his shirt and began leading the way out of his office and our way towards the physician quarters.

As we entered everyone bowed their head lowly to us. The doors were opened to the children's section and my heart broke when I saw Anne leaning over Isabella's dead body.

"Your Majesty." I heard Thomas say as he stood up. His eyes went from Henry to me and I watched as he fought back a scowl.

"Enough Thomas. Victoria is my wife and if she was not with me when I received the news then I would not have come." Henry announced and Anne quickly stood up and stared at me.

'How could you say that? She is our daughter!" She cried out and Henry let out a bitter laugh.

"I have buried many children with Catherine. Burying Isabella is nothing new to me." Henry said as he stepped towards the table and looked down at isabella.

He stared at her for a moment before brushing some of her hair back. He stepped away and turned to me.

'I am going to visit Mary and the boys before I see Albert in the nursery. Shall I see you for dinner tonight?" He asked and I smiled as I bowed my head.

"Of course. Tell the children I will see them before bedtime." I stated and Henry nodded as he stepped forward and pressed a kiss to my forehead and then walked out. Once I couldn't hear his footsteps anymore I turned to Anne and sighed.

"I am truly sorry for you lost Anne. I know you do not like me but no mother should ever bury their child. A child should bury their mother." I explained as I stepped towards Anne and saw the tears in her eyes.

Anne stared at me and before I knew it she let out a sob and I quickly caught her in my arms.

"She is my baby and now she is gone." She cried out and I nodded as I rubbed her back and held her close.

"I am so sorry Anne. I do not know how you feel but know Isabella is now safe and running in heaven with angels." I explained before I pulled apart and looked at Anne.

"I know you are mourning but I am warning you. Go near my husband and I will end you and your entire family."