Chapter Thirty: Visiting Catherine

Queen Victoria

March 31st, 1519

I held onto Mary's hand as I helped her out of the carriage and onto the ground. Months have passed since Mary has received a summons for her mother to come see her and she has been asking why.

Henry had announced before we left my pregnancy and a banquet shall be held tomorrow in my honor.

Besides Henry's mother, this would be my second healthy pregnancy.

"You stay right here with Lady Bryon. I will come back to get you." I said and Mary nodded as I gathered my skirts and walked up the pavement towards the door. One of the maids opened the door for me and bowed lowly.

"Su Majestad, Esto es una sorpresa. ¿Como Puedo ayudarte?" (Your Majesty, this is a surprise. How may I help you?)

"La Princesa viuda. ¿Ella está Adentro?" (The Dowager Princess. Is she in?)

"Sí, Catherine está aquí. Sígueme." (Yes, Catherine is here. Follow me.) The maid said as she bowed her head before leading me down the hall into the study.

When the doors opened and I saw Catherine sitting in a chair looking out the window where Mary ran around with Lady Byron.

"She just turned six. Her birthday was celebrated widely at court." I said earning her to turn to me and glare.

"Victoria. What a surprise."

"Your daughter has been asking for you. We have come to see why you haven't summoned for her." I stated as I walked towards Catherine.

She stared at me for a moment before looking at my stomach.

"Estás con un niño Otra Vez, ¿verdad?" (You are with child again, aren't you?)

"I am. Mary hopes for a little sister this time because we already have Edward and Henri." I said with a smile as I sat across from Catherine and a maid brought me a goblet of water.

"Henri? You had twins?"

"No, Henri is my husband's bastard child I am raising. I ordered his mother's execution after she began to spread lies that you were still queen." I said with a smile earning Catherine to stare at me.

"I have been by Henry's side since I came to England and you just took him away from me."

"I did not take him away from you Catherine. He was never yours, to begin with. You came to England to marry his brother Arthur. When Arthur died Henry married you so we would not lose the pact with Spain." I stated as I lifted my goblet and sipped it softly.

"Y antes de decir que no soy Reina, guárdalo. Estoy aquí por Mary." (And before you say I am not Queen, save it. I am here because of Mary)

"Is something wrong with her?"

"No, she is fine but she misses you. You are her mother. I am her step-mother." I stated as the doors opened and Mary came walking in holding onto Lady Byron's hand.

"Mary!"

"Mama!" Mary cried out as she broke away from Lady Byron and took off running into Catherine's arms. I smiled softly as the two of them hugged before Catherine checked over her.

"Tu quoque delicias? Tum est illa pateris, fecit tibi?" (Are you well darling? Is she treating you well?)

"Ita! Victoria est miris O!" (Yes, Mama Victoria is amazing) Mary said and I held back a smirk. Catherine stared at her for a moment before looking over at me.

"Why did you really bring her over here?"

"Catherine I am not evil. Mary wanted to see you and update you all on her studies. Isn't that right Mary?" I asked and Mary nodded as she turned to her mother.

"I am finished with Latin and I am starting Spanish. After Spanish, I will begin French with Mama Victoria. I have history, mathematics, literature, and dance lessons." Mary rambled and I smiled as I stood up and walked over to the window and looked out at Catherine's estate.

I had asked Henry the day before how did she come by this estate.

"When my father arranged the marriage between Catherine and my brother she gave her certain estates in case my brother died."

"Did your father expect him to die?"

"Arthur was a very sick child when we were small. It was just a precaution. That is why some monarchs try very hard to have more than two boys." He explained as we walked through the meadow.

"Did she know she had these estates?"

"Not until she came to England. Charles, myself, and my grandmother went to receive her. We had to explain the marriage contract again." Henry explained as his hand traveled to my stomach.

"It is too small to hold Henry," I said and he chuckled.

"I know but I am so happy to have another one."

"Mama Victoria?" Mary called out and I looked to see her standing beside me with tears in her eyes. I quickly bent down in front of her and pulled her close to me.

"Mary! What happened?"

"Momma yelled at me for calling you, Mama! I want to go home! Back to court with Papa and my brothers." She cried out and I stared at her for a moment before nodding.

"Go with Lady Byron back to the carriage and tell them we are returning. I will out in a moment." I stated and Mary nodded as she rushed out of the room before standing up and facing Catherine.

"¡Nunca volverás a ver a Mary!" (You will never see Mary again!)

"Yo soy su Madre! ¡No tú!" (I am her mother! Not you)

"¡Soy la sangrienta Reina de Inglaterra! ¡Es lo que digo!" (I am the bloody Queen of England! It is what I say!) I yelled before I took a deep breath.

"You will never see my child again. And because of how horrible you treated her you will lose half of your people here in your estate." I hissed before I turned on my heel and walked out of the estate and to the carriage that was waiting for me.

As the footman helped me inside I pulled Mary close to me and held her close to me as I rocked her softly.

"It's alright darling. Mummy is here."