Chapter Forty: Marriage Arrangement

Queen Victoria

June 24th, 1519

I held Edward in my hand and looked down at Henri and Mary who stood in front of me.

"Momma, what are we doing?" Mary asked as I reached down and fixed her hair.

"We are here to witness your father sign the marriage arrangement between Henri and one of King Francis's daughter," I explained as Edward let out a whine.

"Will, I ever get married?" She asked and I stared at her for a moment before nodding.

"Of course you will. I will speak to your father soon about arranging a marriage for you and maybe a Duke or future King." I offered before we heard the trumpet play and I looked forward.

I stepped inside and soon Mary and Henri followed me. Inside the room were Francis, Claude, Henry, Woosley, and Princess Charlotte.

"Hello Princess Charlotte," I said and the young blonde girl looked at me and bowed her head.

"Bonjour." (Hello.) She whispered as I stepped towards Henry.

"Alright. Now that the children are here we shall sign the marriage arrangement." Woosley said as I shot him a look. I felt Mary wrap her arms around my leg and I smiled as I brushed her hair back.

Francis stepped forward first and signed his name before Henry stepped forward and signed as well.

"Now for the two to meet," Woosley said and I handed Edward to Henry before I bent down to Henri's size.

"Momma?" He whispered as I smiled as I fixed his hair.

"Henri, this is Charlotte. She is to be your wife when you get older." I said and I turned him to Charlotte who was holding her father's hand.

Henri stared at her for a moment before smiling. Charlotte waved before turning and rushing to her mother. I smiled softly before I picked Henri up and turned to Woosley.

"You may leave now Woosley." I hissed and he stared at me for a moment before bowing his head and walking out the room.

"Vous n'aimez pas Woosley?" (Do you not like Woosley?) Francis asked and I shook my head as Henri struggled to get out of my grip and I put him on the floor.

"Non, il est très sournois." (No, he is very sneaky.) I whispered as Henri and Mary rushed to play with Charlotte.

"So, now that the marriage arrangement is set and we shall receive the dowry soon. If we shall ever need help or if you shall ever need help. Neither shall hesitate to reach out for help." Henry said as he walked towards me and I quickly grabbed Edward out of his arms.

Edward stared up at me for a moment before grinning and trying to press a kiss to my cheek. Instead, he just ended up licking my cheek.

"Il connaît sa Dame Mère? Oui?" (He knows his Lady Mother? Yes?) Claude asked as she placed her hand on her stomach.

"Oui, Edward me connaîtra n'importe où." (Yes, Edward shall know me anywhere.) I whispered before Claude let out a sigh. Francis stared at her for a moment before smiling.

"I believe we are going to leave a little while early. Claude has been in pain and we believe she shall give birth soon." Francis said and I smiled.

"Of course," Henry said and I nodded.

"Of course! Go, we want Claude to be at peace when bringing this little one into the world." I said and Claude chuckled.

"J'ai l'impression que Deux sont en moi." (I feel as if two are inside me.) She said and I laughed as I turned Edward around so he could face everyone.

"Write to us when you have the baby! We would love to send you a gift." I stated and Claude nodded.

"I must go pack. Charlotte come to mamma." She called out and Charlotte's head popped up before she rushed over to her mother and followed her out of the room.

I watched as they left the room before I looked over to Henry who smiled as he pulled me closer to him.

"Do you think she is having twins?"

"I do. Hopefully, it shall be another son and maybe another daughter. But poor Claude. She needs time to relax before having another baby." I explained before Mary rushed over to us and Henry quickly scooped him into her arms.

"Viens Henri! Il est l'heure de déjeuner!" (Come, Henri! Time for lunch!) I called out and I watched as Henri broke away from one of the guards and stared at me.

"D'accord Maman!" (Okay momma.) He said before rushing over to me.

"Teaching him more French?" He asked and I chuckled as the five of us walked out the room and towards Henry and my quarters.

"Well, he is marrying a French Princess. For a while, she shall only want to speak French so he needs to know her native tongue before they marry." I said and Henry nodded.

"And how are you and the little one?"

"This little one is kicking like crazy! It only stopped now." I explained as we walked into our quarters and I placed Edward inside his little crib.

Mary sat on the sofa and pulled one of her books towards her. Henri stared at me and I smiled softly.

"You may go play with Lady Marie, Henri," I said and Henri grinned before he rushed to be and hugged my legs before he turned to Lady Marie who took him to a separate room.

I placed a hand on my stomach before I walked over to the table and sat across from Henry who rang for the maids to bring out the food. I looked up and saw Henry staring at me.

"What?" I asked and he smiled softly at me.

"Nothing. You look very beautiful and happy today." He said and I stared at him for a moment before bringing a goblet of water to my lips.

"I am happy today."