Chapter Forty-Two: Wedding

Queen Victoria of Cambridge

August 4th, 1519

I stared ahead as the church we were riding towards. Last month true to his word, Charles told Henry that he was planning on marrying his sister Mary. 

After punching him in the face until he bled, Henry ended up giving the two of them his blessing. As long as the pair paid a fine for the next seven years. They were marrying today in Church of St Mary in Cambridge today. 

Once the carriage stopped I turned to Henry and smiled. 

"Are they both here?" I asked and Henry nodded as he fixed his crowns and medals. 

"Yes, they are both waiting. I was wondering if I speak to Mary since I am walking her down, and you speak to Charles?" He offered and I tried my hardest not to freeze. 

"Of course," I whispered as a pageboy opened the door and offered his hand to me. I gripped it and climbed out of the carriage waving to the small crowd that waited for us. 

I placed my hand on my stomach and sighed softly. I had just three months left of my pregnancy and would go into confinement one month before the babe was born. Henry led me inside the church where the Archbishop of Cambridge bowed his head to us. 

"Dowager Queen of France is to the right and the Duke of Sussex is in the room on the left." He said before he turned and made his way back to the alter. I sighed softly and made my way to the room on my left and knocked. 

"Enter." He called out and I opened the door. Charles stood staring in the mirror as he fixed his medals. When he saw me he quickly turned around and dropped to a knee in front of me. 

"No need to bow Charles. It is your wedding day." I said as he stood up and smiled at me. 

"I never thought he would give me his blessing. I was counting on him not to." He said and I rolled my eyes as I stepped forward and closed the door. 

"Your medals are crooked," I whispered as I reached out and fixed his medals. I stared at him for a moment before smiling. 

"You must love Mary very much. To endure Henry's wraith and still win his approval." I whispered and Charles shrugged. 

"She loves me. I may grow to love her." He said and I stepped back and my hands rested on my belly. 

"You must marry her. For, I have a proposition for you." I said and Charles smirked before smiling. 

"And what shall that be?" 

"If you marry Mary and at least lay with her to produce two children you may be in this child's life," I said and Charles raised an eyebrow at me. 

"So you do agree that this child is mine?" 

"It could be. But we shall not know until it is born." I stated before someone knocked and I looked to see Henry laughing as he walked inside. 

"Mary is all set. Victoria, have you been trying to scare Charles?" He asked as he stepped towards me and wrapped his arm around me. 

"Trying hard not to. We will see you up there, won't we Charles?" I asked and Charles nodded as he bowed his head. 

"Of course. I cannot wait to marry my beloved." He said and Henry grinned. 

"I have annouced it that you and Mary shall be known as the Duke and Duchess of Suffolk. No need for her to be titled as the Dowager Queen of France while in England." Harry said and Charles bowed his head. 

"Come now. The ceremony is about to start." I said as I walked out of the room with Henry and Charles behind me. I stood on the left where Mary would stand in front of me as Charles and Henry stood to the right. 

I looked towards the door and saw Mary walking towards us. As she approached Charles she bowed her head and I took the flowers from her and smiled. 

As the Archbishop began his speech I couldn't help but wonder how different my life would be if Cathrine have Henry a living son and I was able to live my life with Charles as I was meant to do. 

I closed my eyes and when I opened them I saw Charles and Mary kissing one another. I forced myself to smile and clap my hands as I handed Mary her flowers back and the newly married couple walked down the aisle. 

Henry stepped towards me and I leaned into his touch. 

"I must question, will they be watched tonight?" I asked as I placed a hand on my stomach and allowed Henry to led me out to our carriage that was waiting for us. 

"No, because she was already married and widowed. It would be different if she was divorced before she consumed her first marriage." He explained as I nodded as I climbed into the carriage and sighed softly. 

"Let us go home to our children," I said and Henry nodded before smiling at me. 

"Of course my Queen."