Chapter Twelve: Welcoming the Holy Roman Emperor

Queen Victoria

August 3rd, 1518

I stood beside Henry in the Throne Room to welcome the new Emperor. Henry held me close to him and placed his hand on my growing bump. Trumpets began to play and I turned to the doors and watched as they open and Charles and his wife Isabella walked inside.

When they got to our thrones they bowed their heads and we repeated their actions.

"Su Santidad, Bienvenido a Inglaterra." (Your Holiness, Welcome to England.) Henry said and Charles smiled.

"Henry! I still consider you my dear Uncle. Thank you for having us here! Is this your wife?" Charles asked and Henry smiled as he turned to me.

"Yes. Charles this is my wife Queen Victoria of England." Henry said and I curtsied low.

"Es un honor tenerlos a ambos aquí." (It is an honor to have you both here) I said and I watched as Isabella stared at me.

"¿Sabes español?" (You know Spanish)

"Conozco Muchos idiomas, su Gracia" (I know many languages, Your Grace.) I said and Charles chuckled.

"I like this one Henry. Make sure to cherish her. Others might want to take her for a ride." He said and I watched as Henry's ears turned red and I grabbed his shoulder.

"I only have eyes for my husband," I said and Henry smiled before we were all led towards our table. I sat beside Henry while Charles sat on his other side.

"Have you visited you Aunt, Charles?" Henry asked as we sat down.

"I wrote and told her I was coming but I got no response. I believe she is upset we accepted your new wife so quickly." Charles said and I felt someone sat beside me and I looked to see Isabella.

"Isabella, not sitting by your husband?" I asked as a maid brought her a plate of food.

"He would rather sit with his french whore, Estelle." She hissed and I raised an eyebrow.

"Do not worry. He will tire of her soon." I said as I felt Henry grab my knee.

"¿Temes que tu marido se canse de ti?" (Do you fear your husband will tire of you?) She asked and I froze.

"No, Porque seré su perdición si lo hace." (No, because I will be his downfall if he does) I said with a smile before a bell rang and Henry stood up holding his goblet.

"Welcome! Welcome, all! We have the honor of hosting the new Holy Roman Emperor, my nephew Charles and his wonderful wife Isabella! My wife, Victoria, and I welcome you to England and hope you all enjoy your stay! May this visit end in friendship and unite us all!" Henry said and I smiled as I clapped my hands.

Henry turned to me and offered me his hand as he helped me up.

"Señoras, mañana por la Tarde tendré una sesión de pintura afuera en el patio. Siéntete libre de acompañarme." (Ladies, tomorrow afternoon I shall hold a painting session outside in the courtyard. Feel free to join me) I said and everyone cheered. I reached for my goblet and turned to Isabella.

I raised my glass to her before turning to Charles and doing the same. He sent me a smile before lifting his glass.

"Eat and dance!" Henry shouted before everyone cheered and we all sat back down.

I placed a hand on my stomach and smiled as I felt the baby moving around.

"How far along are you?" Isabella asked as our plates were taken away and Emilia brought me bread.

"Five months. Almost six months. We are nearly there." I said and Isabella sighed.

"I have not been able to carry a child to full term." She whispered and I leaned forward and grabbed her hand.

"Si es la voluntad de Dios, entonces sucederá." (If it is God's will, then it shall happen.) I said and Isabella wiped a tear away.

"Charles needs a son. He needs an heir and I fear his mistress will give him that child." She said and I shook my head.

"She won't because you shall give him a son. One who will be a glorious emperor. Your son and my son will be amazing rulers." I stated before Henry cleared his throat and I turned to him.

"It still shocks me how devoted you are to your faith." He said and I smiled.

"Without my faith, I am nothing, Henry," I said before the doors opened and I looked to see Mary walking with Lady Bryan and Lord Julien.

"Your Majesties," She said as she stopped before our table and bowed lowly.

"Mary! Done with lessons already?" Henry asked as he stood up.

"Yes, Lady Bryan said I could come and say hello before going to prayer." She said as Henry led her over to me and Mary climbed onto my lap.

"Mary, say hello to Emperor Charles and his wife Isabella," I said as I fixed the young girls hair.

"Hello your Holiness," Mary said and Charles chuckled.

"A wonderful little girl! She will be an amazing big sister." Charles said and I smiled as Mary wrapped her arms around me.

"We tell her that every day. She wants me to have the baby already." I stated and Isabella chuckled.

"The baby must wait a little while longer. For it to be a healthly little one."Isabella said and Mary smiled before she kissed my cheek and climbed off my lap.

"It was a pleasure meeting you. But I have to go be in prayer." Mary said and I nodded.

"I shall see you tonight my dove," I said as she hugged Henry goodbye and followed Lady Byran goodbye.

I watched as Mary walked out of the room and everyone bowed to her.

"Has she visited her mother?" Charles asked and I watched as Henry froze.

"Catherine refuses to see her as long as Victoria is in her life." He explained and I scoffed.

"We will see about that."

Charles, Holy Roman Emperor

Isabella of Portugal