Chapter Fifty: Uh-Oh

Queen Victoria of Cambridge

November 12th, 1519

I laid in bed and smiled as Morgana braided my hair for me. I was due any day now and all I wanted was to give birth to this child and go back to my normal life.

"Can I just stand by the window for a while?" I asked and Megan nodded as she walked over and pushed the covers off of me and helped me climb out.

My belly was so low and it was painful to actually walk. As I got to the window I smiled when I saw children with their governess walking around the courtyard.

"I miss walking through the courtyard daily," I whispered and Megan smiled as she rubbed my shoulders.

"You will shortly. This little one just needs to come out." She said as her hand traveled from my shoulder to my belly and rubbed it softly.

I felt a sharp kick and doubled over gripped the window frame.

"Vicky. Are you alright?" Megan said and before I could respond I felt the kick again before water rushed down my legs.

"My water just broke," I whispered and Megan stared at me for a moment before grinning.

"Emilia, fetch the physician! Her water broke!" Megan called out as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and led me towards the bed. Morgana was quickly taking the sheets off the bed and preparing it for me to give birth.

"It does not happen so quickly, ladies," I said with a smile before I climbed into the middle of the bed and relaxed against the pillow.

As the door opened and the royal physician walked in with Emilia he smiled at me.

"Did your water just break Your Majesty?"

"Yes, it did. I told these girls it does not happen so quickly." I commented and the physician chuckled before nodding.

"That is very true. Make I check underneath?" He asked and I nodded as I leaned back and allowed him to check.

"Alright, I will check back in four hours to see how you have progressed. Shall I give you the same speech I gave you the last time?" He asked with a smile and I shook my head.

"No, I remember it quite well. May you just tell my husband my water has broken and I am in labor?" I asked and the physician bowed his head.

"Of course. I shall be back in four hours." He said before he walked out of the room.

I sighed softly as I leaned against the pillow and looked at my belly.

"What can we do to keep you at ease?" Emilia asked and it took me a moment to realize she was not there when I gave birth to Edward.

"May you get Mary, Henri, and Edward? I just want to see them before the pain takes over." I asked and she smiled softly before bowing her head.

"I'll return with them when Mary is done with her lessons."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Four Hours Later ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched as the physician peaked his head back up and smiled.

"You are moving along very slowly. Just as slow when you gave birth to the Prince of Wales." He said and I sighed as I felt a sharp pain again.

"I knew it," I said and he chuckled softly.

"His Majesty is very happy you are in labor and has asked everyone to pray for a healthy delivery and a healthy baby."

"Thank you. I shall see you again in four hours?" I asked and he nodded before walking out of the room. I heard small laughter and I turned to see Emilia walking in with my three children.

"Mummy!" Henri and Edward cried out as the rushed over and climbed on the bed.

"Hello, my babies! Mummy is so happy to see you." I said as I hugged them close before Mary climbed onto my other side and hugged me as well.

"Baby here yet?" Edward asked and I shook my head.

"Not yet. But hopefully very soon." I replied and Edward pouted before looking at Mary.

"Are you alright?" She whispered and I nodded as I fixed her hair.

"I am perfectly fine. May I ask for you to do one thing, Mary?"

"What is it?"

"When you go with your Governess later to Chapel may you say two extra prayers with your rosary for the baby and me?" I asked and Mary grinned before nodding.

"Of course mama." She said and I smiled before leaning forward and pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Thank you, my love. I wanted to see you three before the new baby comes." I explained and Henri placed his hand on my stomach.

"Baby still there?"

"Yes, Henri. Your new brother or sister is being very stubborn." I said before Megan cleared her throat.

"Alright my loves. You have to go back now. Remember I love you all." I said as Emilia reached for Edward before helping the other two off the bed.

Henri waved goodbye to me and I blew them all a kiss. As the doors closed behind them I felt the tears well up and Morgana quickly sat on the bed and pulled me into a hug.

"What is wrong?"

"I hate missing them so much. I wish I could be with them." I cried out and Morgana smiled softly as she brushed my hair back.

"You will shortly when this little babe comes. Just relax Vicky."

"It's very hard to relax when I've been in labor for four hours and could be in labor for longer than that."

"Exactly Vicky."