Chapter Twenty-One: Kind of Your Junior

Ajayi

____________________________________________________________

I rub my stomach as a shot of pain runs through me. For the last week, I have been having small shots of pain in the same spot in my stomach.

Like the bad, idiotic person that I am, I did not tell my husband. I have been dealing it with but now it is becoming unbearable.

"Honey, can you come here please?" I called out to Akshay. He has been working from home for the last month only going into the office when completely necessary.

He said he did not want to be stuck in a meeting that could have waited and I need him and cannot get in touch with him.

I tried to argue I could call his cellphone, but he shut me down. Akshay walks into our bedroom with his phone up to his ear.

"Hold on Katherine, yes my love? Do you need something?" I smile, loving his attentiveness and eagerness to help me.

"Can you help me up and get dress please?" At seven months, I could not stand up on my own and needed help getting up and down.

"There is a pain in my stomach and I want to go to the hospital please." Akshay put the phone back to his ear.

"Katherine, reschedule the meeting to another time...I don't care if this is the tenth time it's been pushed back, my husband needs me."

He hung up and rushes into the closet. The pain is starting to get worse; it makes me cry out "Ahh!"

Akshay runs out with a pair of my yoga pants, boxer briefs and one of his shirts. "Come on pretty baby, let me help you up."

As soon as my husband helps me up a rush of water comes down my leg and onto the floor. I start to panic.

"Oh no, she's here two months early. What if something is wrong? Did I do something wrong?" Akshay grabs my shoulders, "Baby please, calm down! I got you all right? Trust me?"

I nod, "With my life." He smiles and kisses me. "Ok let's get you dress and to the hospital." After "we," meaning all I did was raise my arms and legs as my husband did all the work, got me dress he sat me down softly on the chest at the end of our bed.

"Sit down for a minute pretty baby, while I go get mom and dad, the car and the bag ok?" I nod but before he left the room, he kisses me.

"I love you so much baby. You are my life and I thank you for giving me a baby for us to love and raise together," and then he rushes out.

I could not help but smile while rubbing my belly. "Well baby girl, looks like you are ready to enter this unique world of ours. My answer is a contraction, so I start doing the breathing exercises we learned in Lamaze class.

Mama walks into the room with a teary smile and says "Oh my baby." I could feel my eyes start to water so I plead, "Mama, don't cry yet. Save those tears for the delivery room."