Chapter Fourteen: Rylee

Start from the beginning

"I don't care! I told you to avoid it as much as you could, Lele. I fucking hate it!" He barks, hitting my computer chair roughly. He starts pacing my room, occasionally rubbing his forehead. His fists are still clenched as he treads the floor in complete frustration. He is infuriated. The entire scene annoys me.

"I did avoid it! For two years, I avoided the stupid tradition, but Theo made the decision to claim me. You know quite well that when a football player claims a girl for the season, she is his. I hate the stupid tradition. But you and the football players keep it alive to fulfill your selfish desires by hiding it under some good luck charm pretenses!" I rant. I'm standing at this point, my fists are just as clenched as his. Ryland stares at me, a wave of guilt flashes his eyes. For a moment, I regret saying it. It was a bit insensitive considering Ryland's existence is because of the tradition.

"You're my sister, Lele. I can't stand the idea of some guy hurting you, especially Theo. Not again." His voice cracks. He hangs his head. Before I can think about it, I'm hugging him.

"I know," I reply softly. Ryland pulls away from the hug, and I smile, "I give you full permission to beat him up if he hurts me."

Ryland laughs, "I don't need permission for that, Lele. It's a given." I roll my eyes at him. Typical Ryland. Before he leaves my room, something pops into my head. How did Ryle know I was claimed by Theo?

"Hey, Ryle?" I ask. Ryland is at the door but turns around to let me know he is listening. "How did you know I was claimed by Theo?"

Ryland scowls, "He came by to tell me." I swallow. Theo was here. So, the person that came to see Ryland was Theo? Why didn't he say anything? Why didn't he send a message to say he was coming? I could have spared him the agony of talking to my brother.

"As much as I hate the little shit for claiming you, I have to admit he got some balls letting me know," Ryland says, admiring Theo for a moment. "I'm still going to fuck with him at practice. No one claims my sister and gets away with it." He continues before he heads out of my room. I groan inwardly. Theo was so screwed.

As if hearing me call his name, my phone rings with his name flashing across the screen. I plop into the bed and answer the call.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were going to speak to Ryland?" I spill before Theo could say anything.

Theo chuckles, "Hello to you too."

I groan, "Stop playing and answer me." I roll on to my pillow and clutch the cellphone in my hands. The call is quiet for a moment, except for a shuffling sound on Theo's end.

"Sorry, I was getting into bed. I want to fall asleep on the phone with you tonight." He finally responds. My heart flutters. Damn, Theo Bradshaw was the sweetest boyfriend ever. I shake my head to erase those thoughts. He was distracting me, and it wasn't going to work.

"Theo!"

He teases, "There are so many other ways I would rather hear you say my name, Ry." I cover my eyes in embarrassment. "Are you blushing right now, Rylee Scott?" He inquires with a teasing tone.

"If you still want to have a girlfriend for this season, you better answer me." I threatened.

"Ry, you're as good on that threat as I am. Try something else."

I smirk, "How about I hang up this phone if you don't answer me."

"You would-" he says right before I end the call. Hmph. Two could play that game. Theo liked being in control, but I loved it more. Seeing him call back gives me a sense of satisfaction I didn't think I could have from being a petty ass girlfriend.

I answer the call, "Yes, this is Rylee speaking."

Theo snarls, "Hang up this phone again, Ry, and I swear I'll tan that ass when I see you tomorrow." I bite my lips in anticipation. Was that a promise?

"Well, stop playing and answer me, O."

He sighs, "It's nothing, Ry. Whatever happens between Ryland and me is our business. He could do whatever he wants, but just know I don't plan on letting you go. I can't." Part of me hopes he can't let me go because he cares about me. Maybe I'm being too naïve, but his words comfort me.

"Can we talk about something else? Ryland is not a topic I want to discuss with my girlfriend, especially when my girlfriend is his sister."

I laugh, "Ok, what do you want to talk about?"

"Something light. Like, what's your middle name?"

I groan, "God, no."

Theo chuckles, "Why? Tell me, babe."

The sound of that word leaving his lips turns my brains to mush. I barely recognize when the name leaves my mouth.

"Rylee Tessa Scott. It has a nice ring to it. Why, Tessa?"

I sigh, "It's my mom's name. My dad said when I was born, he knew I would look like my mom. He wanted to name me Tessa like my mom because he wanted to have two Tessas, but my mom hated the idea. Eventually, she settled for a middle name when my dad agreed on the name Rylee."

"Should I call you Tess, now?"

"Only if you want to die, Bradshaw."

He moans, "Dying by the hands of Rylee Scott sounds like heaven." I giggle. Theo was funny and playful, but a lot of people didn't know that. He was so reserved, so the only people who got to see him in his natural state were the ones he trusted. My heart swells at knowing I was one of those persons.

"What's your middle name?"

"Kendric." He states, nonchalantly. I beam as I whisper his name. I like the feel of his full name on my lips: Theo Kendric Bradshaw. It suited him.

"Why, Kendric?"

Theo sighs, "Well, you know my dad is the chairman at Brad and Co., and my mom is a big shareholder for my grandfather's company. When my mom found out she was pregnant with me, she and my dad felt I needed a name to match my heritage. So, Theo means a divine gift, and Kendric means a bold ruler. It's all shit now that I mention it."

I frown, "No, it isn't. It's perfect."

He blows into the phone, "Let's not get into any heavy conversations tonight, Rylee. Tell me about your day. I want to hear your beautiful voice. It helps me fall asleep."

I wear a feign hurt expression, "So, my voice bores you, Theo?"

"Nah, beautiful. It calms me. Now, how was your day?" Knowing how much I affect him makes me happy. Theo was right. We just needed to focus on making each other happy. So, I begin talking about my day. Theo listens, only speaking when he has a question. Eventually, we both drifted off to sleep: Theo to the sound of me talking about our new cheerleading routine and me to the sound of his light snores on the phone.