xv - Homecoming Queen?

"No Nami, don't."

"(Y/N)–"

"Nami, I'm serious."

Nami paused, looking at me with a sly & sheepish grin.

"You didn't."

"Yeah about that.."

Then I saw it.

It was me–my face–plastered on a school bulletin board. The words 'Homecoming 2020' in a jazzy font written under it.

"Nami please tell me this is a joke," I pleaded dreadfully.

"Come on (Y/N)! It'll be fun, you might even get to win and be on the Homecoming Court with someone special~" She sang the last part, nodding towards another poster of the one and only, bane of my existence, Kid.

I literally couldn't believe her right now.

...Who am I kidding, of course I did. She's been on my case about Kid tenfold since that party.

I don't even know why, we didn't even talk much that night. I was hanging out with Nami & her friends all night.

I didn't think she'd go this far though..

"Come on, I don't want any trouble. Isn't Bonney running too? This is just wrong." I sighed out as we arrived to the cafeteria.

"Yeah she is, but that doesn't mater! You still have a chance." Nami was cheerfully optimistic.

"You realize I've been at this school for not even 3 months, and I'm not exactly winning any popularity awards being in band and all.."

"Sure whatever, that would have been true a week ago, but everyone knows you now Birdie." She smirked.

"I will stab you with this spork."

"You know you like it, I see the way you roll your eyes~"

"Just eat, you're starting to give me a headache."

She finally gave it a rest, getting out whatever fruity concoction she brought for lunch. Something with tangerines probably.

I started eating as well, surveying the ever-filling cafeteria—as you do.

As I was glancing around the room, I saw another poster with my face again. I made a mental note to yell at Nami later because I noticed a certain pink-haired cheerleader looking at it. Her face was plastered on the wall nearby on another poster. Her eyes darted around the room, searching for something. When her target was acquired, I felt her cold gaze on me. She seemed to analyze me for a moment before putting on a smile and walking over to our table.

"You're running too? How fun!" Her voice was a sickening sweet tone.

"Yeah, a fun surprise for me too." I matched her tone, glaring at Nami.

Nami acted innocently, but her next statement shot my anxiety through the roof.

"What, you're not scared of loosing to (Y/N), are you?"

I stopped mid-bite of my food, looking at Nami warily.

Bonney reacted noticeably, but remained her sickly sweet demeanor, "Oh of course not, no offense (Y/N)."

I tried to compose myself the best I could, "N-No worries, I don't expect to win something as shallow as that."

Why did I say that—

Now it was Nami's turn to look at me warily. Bonnie just kept her sweet girl act up, but I could tell that one really got her.

"It's much more than just a popularity contest silly!," she stabbed at her salad, "You probably wouldn't get it because you've probably never been on the homecoming court before, but it's a big responsibility."