xiii - Soft Thoughts & Hard Shots

I groaned as I heard Law call them to attention again. It's been the same thing every 5 minutes or so since I got here. I checked my phone. 5:53pm. At least this would be the last time.

I never really paid much attention to the band before, but now I guess I'd be forced to. At least for an hour everyday after school. I never noticed how big they were either. Their forms covered up most of the field at any given moment.

"How did I miss this..?" I questioned out loud, looking around the bleachers at the 10s and 10s of cases.

I sat beside hers, which was surrounded by nearly identical ones in different sizes. I looked at it closer, noticing how beat up it was. The velvet interior was coming up at the corners, & the leather on the outside was torn, exposing the wood underneath. The little plaque on the corner was scratched up, but it was readable.

Yamaha.

"Like the bike company?" I spoke mostly to myself.

"Yep, they also make boats." It was birdie.

She walked over with a couple other people, they looked like they were still in middle school.

"Okay, guys, start working on memorizing the 3rd movement, Mr. Brook & Igaram said we're going to start putting the music over the drill next week." She spoke to the other saxophones around us as she put up her instrument.

A blonde girl gaped at (Y/N). "We just got the 2nd movement memorized!"

"I don't know if I can (Y/N), the 3rd movement is so fast, I—You can do it Tajio, you just need to practice more." A boy with brown hair interrupted the boy with freckles.

"Come on, it can't be that hard to play trombone." I smirked at their offended faces.

(Y/N) just sighed. "Don't listen to him, he's just trying to get under your skin," She turned to Tajio, "And stop doubting yourself, you're a lot better than you think." She ruffled his orange hair. He seemed to smile.

"Okay, I need to talk to Law real quick. Kid, don't say anything mean to my section." She shot me a glare before hopping off the bleachers to find Law.

"Wouldn't dream of it birdie." I chuckled as she rolled her eyes at me.

I think she was getting used to the nickname. She acted like she hated it in public, but I knew she secretly liked it. After all, she did set it as her contact name.

"Are you & big sister (Y/N) dating?" A purple haired girl questioned me as she closed her case.

"What? I–no, definitely not." I laughed, "She'd probably kill you if she heard you say that though."

"So.. you like her then?" She tilted her head at me.

"He did take her home everyday after band camp & He was staring at her the last hour of practice." The brown-haired one started, "& (Y/N) is really pretty." Tajio blushed.

"Very, but it's definitely not lik—so you do think she's pretty!" The blonde one jumped up next to me.

I gestured for the girl to be quiet. "Hey! Not so loud you little–" I paused, thinking back to what (Y/N) said merely minutes before, "But, no, I don't have a cr—Hey, sorry for taking so long. You ready?" (Y/N) smiled, which didn't help with the confusion of these interrogating brats.

"That's okay Kid, we won't tell. Bye (Y/N)!" The purple-haired one waved goodbye with the other three, leaving me with (Y/N).

Her smile didn't last long. "What did you tell them? Please tell me it wasn't the birdie thing, I'd like them to respect me yo—Just being annoying brats, let's go." I picked up her instrument & started walking before she could say anything else.