xi - Dodging Feelings

All I could think about was how Heat was holding her. I don't get why, but I couldn't shake the feeling it gave me. I was getting soft again. For a girl who hated my guts.

I opted out of going to lunch, I still felt like my blood was boiling. I sighed as I entered the library. It was the only place I could listen to music in peace. I slipped my earbuds in as I made my way to the back corner. It was covered by the tallest shelves in the library & hardly anyone ever went over there. As I turned the corner to my usual spot, I glanced up from my phone & locked eyes with birdie. A look of calm confusion flashed over her face before she frowned at me. I rolled my eyes at that all too familiar face & sat next to her. I could feel her eyes on me as I made myself comfortable. I met her gaze again, quirking an eyebrow at her.

"What?" I ignored her angry expression, pulling out an earbud to hear her response. "Don't 'what?' me! What are you doing he–!" I put a finger to her mouth, effectively shutting her up. I gestured to the space around us, not moving my finger from her lips, "Have some respect birdie, we're in a library." I smirked at her irritated look. She snarled against my finger, grabbing my wrist."Remove your finger before I remove it for you." She was whispering now so I moved my hand, satisfied with her shift in tone.

For a while she stayed silent, that signature scowl still resting on her face.

Then she turned to face me, replacing the scowl with a more stern expression. "I have a lot of questions for you, you overgrown bushfire." I chuckled at the nickname, not looking up from my phone. "Depending on what you ask, I'll have answers."

"How many people know me only as birdie?"

"Anyone who asked me about you." I responded flatly, shuffling through my music.

"Well how many people have asked about me?"

"Anyone who saw us together that one day we were late. Some of the team, & whoever they've mentioned you to."

"Why are you so hellbent on making me miserable..?" She questioned rhetorically, dropping her head into her hand.

"I don't know, I just like seeing you squirm." I snickered as she punched my arm.

"You're infuriating, you know that?"

I put a hand to my chest, faking a frown. "I'm hurt by that birdie, & here I thought you were starting to warm up to me."

She scoffed at the idea. "You wish kiddo."

"Mmhm, that's why you were getting all cuddly with me a couple weeks ago right?" I gave a mock kissy face to taunt her even more.

"I was just spooked! ..Don't go reading too much into it." She shifted awkwardly, "Speaking of that night... do you remember when we were playing 20 questions? And you asked me about my last relationship?"

I furrowed my brow at her, feeling thrown off by her shift in tone.

She coughed a little, clearly unsure about her question, "You do have a girlfriend, right?"

"No, I don't." I eyed her suspiciously, "Why would that matter though birdie?"

She ignored my question, her lips forming a different frown than I was used to.

She was still uncomfortably quiet, but I could tell she wanted to say something more. It kinda made me uneasy not hearing her mad at me.

"Stop being so weird, spit it out."

"So who's Bonney?"

━━━━━━ ◦ ♥️ ◦ ━━━━━━